Problem backing up to network shares: possible solution

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by markh, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markh

markh Registered Member

If anybody is having problems backing up to network shares and gets the following error message:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

Here's a solution:

On the computer that the share is on, open the registry editor by going to Start>Run and typing in regedit and then ENTER.

Edit the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\IRPStackSize

If "IRPStackSize" doesn't exist, right click, New>DWORD

Set the value to 50, make sure the base is decimal.

Then reboot your computer.

Here's the Microsoft KB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

I had a problem accessing shares that were connected to an external USB hard drive. Might be related to installing Norton Anti-Virus. I'm running Windows XP BTW.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, on machines that had Norton AV 2004 and earlier, I've seen this same problem and solution. I don't know if the newer Norton AV's have fixed the problem they created.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I had to got to irpstacksize=21 to cure the problem. Seemed to happen all of a sudden for no good reason. No Norton junk running on my PC. I set it at 30 for good measure; maximum is 50.

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

A search on "IRPStackSize" shows 18 pages of results where this has been discussed previously. Don't feel bad, most things posted these days would show similar results!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.