Problem backing up to External USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by plusman, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plusman

plusman Registered Member

I’m having a recurrent problem when I try and backup my main drive to an external USB drive using True Image Home 9.

When I try and backup my HDD to an external HDD using a USB 2.0 connection using True Image running under Windows XP Home, it initially starts to run OK but then hangs up midway during the backup process. Rebooting the PC and restarting the backup gives the same problem.

If I try to backup to a second internal drive it works OK (but I need to use an external drive for space reasons).

If I boot up my PC from the Acronis Recovery disc I get two problems:

First of all my wireless keyboard with integrated mouse only partially works i.e. I can move the cursor on the screen to select options using either the mouse or the arrow keys but neither of the mouse buttons nor the Return key have any effect in selecting an option. So, I have to plug in a wired keyboard and mouse and reboot.

When I then select the backup process, it starts OK but is extremely slow (e.g. backing up a partition containing ca. 120Gb takes 6 hours).

I am using the latest build of True Image 9, but have had these problems with previous builds.

Has anybody encountered similar problems? Can anybody suggest a solution so that I can make the backup function work better?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It looks like the chipset in your external isn't fully supported. What make of enclosure is it?
    One thing to try is incorporating the True Image plug-in into a BartPE cd. There's a whole thread devoted to doing this.

3. plusman

plusman Registered Member

It is a Medion HDDrive2Go. I've tried both a 250Gb and a 320Gb version with the same result.

How would I know if the chipset isn't supported or not?

But I guess this wouldn't affect the problems I'm having with the TI boot disk not recognising the wireless keyboard?

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

BartPE is the way to go. Follow Mustang's Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD and use one of his plugins Mustang's BartPE Plugins or the plugin included with TI and Mustang's patch for it at the same url.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Here's another option you might consider. If you can get at the drive in the enclosure, you can remove it and put it in the computer using a removable tray which would allow easy removing of the drive once the backup is done. I know .... it's extra work, but those removable drive/rack devices can come in handy in many other ways.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello plusman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please make sure you have recreated Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating to the latest build.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.