Problem 2 Backup to DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jephrey01, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jephrey01

Jephrey01 Registered Member

Hello Peps,

Ill tried to back up my System Partition runnin XP (SP2),
    I backed it up on my USB Storage drive and restored it without any problem, now i would like to have it on DVD, and i read a lot of backin it up that way, ill tried it the two step way writing small files lesser then 2gb to an iso formatet dvd-r the burning process just went fine, but at the time to restore the image it tells me on the second disc the file is corrupt. Aight then ill try to format my DVD-RW with Aheads INCD to UDF format, all went fine.
    I started True Image Workstation version 9 by the way and selected the DVD drive, first of all TI tells me that the format is not known and that it could be some problems to restore this data burned to this volume, so i ignored this message and tried to back it up that way but it ends on error.

So my question is: Is it really so hard to save your Data to an DVD i mean ill tried it with diffrent ways and its not possible for me to get it run, i really would apreciate some help and some helpfull infos, im pretty sure that it will work =).

Thanks in advanve and have a nice day =)

Jeph

2. Jephrey01

somebody got a hint please i really need some help and i have read the FAQ`s

thanks

jeph:oops:

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Putting the backup files on DVD with the 2-step method is only for use as a second backup in case the backup on the external hard drive gets corrupted.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone report that they were able to restore the files directly from DVD when the files were burned with the 2-step method. The files have to be transferred back to the external drive first.

And trying the direct method (UDF format) of putting the files on dvd media can be an exercise in futility. Some are successful, most are not.

4. Jephrey01

right, first of all thanks Chutsman for the reply, so if i understand you right im able to copy the whole files from my dvd`s to an external drive and from there restore it, sounds good for the first, the thing is it will take me bout 3 hours to get the files back from dvd to hd. so as it sounds its not posible to get backups to dvds thats very sad, anyways thanks for the help if somebody got any ideas or did sucesufly backed up on dvds holla at me.

later jeph

5. Chutsman

How many DVDs would your backup Images need that it takes 3 hours to copy them back to the external hard drive? Or is it possible that your external drive is connected to a USB 1.1 port? If it is usb 1.1, you can always get an adapter to get USB 2, whether your system is a desktop or laptop.

6. Jephrey01

yo chutsman,

i doe have usb 2, my image is about 13GB so ill burned 3 DVDs all three contains
    2 files ( iso format ) a bit lesser than 2 gb each, ill just mean its a hard way to copy all these files to usb drive, lets say my sytem has broke an im not able to boot from the master device, can i copy files to my usb drive with the Acronis Mangement station from the Boot CD?

7. selkov

selkov Registered Member

I have backed up to DVD as you are trying to.
    Worked fine.
    Nero 7 ultra w/incd 5.

Installed blank Dvd ran ti bu & done!

8. Jephrey01

selkov: did you formatet the dvd first and how did you burned it with nero, actually im not using version 7 because is still a bit bugy im using version 6 until nero 7 will be fixed, just tell me the steps if you can thanks

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You don't really need to copy the files back from the DVDs to the external hard drive although that is a convenient thing to do.

You can restore directly from the image burned to the DVDs. You will be asked to put the last DVD in first, then just follow the prompts to swap the DVDs. It's slow because DVD reading is slow compared to hard drive reading, but it will work.

If you have the time and want some proof, verify the image on the DVDs using the TI image verification function.

10. Jephrey01

hello jmk94903, thats waht i did and i had problems, TI asked me to put in da last dvd then the first one and it started to restore the image, then TI asked me for 2nd DVD and then it says file corrupt image could not be restored, ill put as i told before 3 files with about 1,2 GB each to 1 DVD its maybee there the prob. because TI cannot see the files or sumthin idunno.......

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jephrey01,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at the Product Updates section at our web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please don't forget to create a new Acronis Bootable Rescue Media using the latest build.

If the issue remains with the latest build then please answer the following questions:
    - Whether you have tried to restore the image from DVDs within Windows or by booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?
    - Please try to check the image file on DVDs using the "Validate Backup Archive" tool and let us know the results;
    - Please copy all the volumes of the archive onto internal hard drive and check them using the same tool and let us know the results;
    - Please Download the MD5 checksum utility, unpack and run the application;
    - Calculate the checksum of the image archive volumes on the DVD and of the copies on the internal hard drive, compare these checksums and let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

12. Jephrey01

Thanks Kirill Omelchenko for the responce,

i will doe these steps and let you know the results as soon as possible,
    i really apreciate your help and support,

catch you later

Jeph

13. Jephrey01

there we go.....ill just tried to copy the 3 DVDs to HD and the first DVD copied without problems, on the 2nd DVD it gave me an data-error and i was not able to copy the files, the third one was ok too.

I tried to burn the 2 files from the 2nd dvd, ill burned with nero on DVD-ISO format 2 files with size 1.52GB each, burnprocess was sucesfuly,i tried to copy from this dvd both files to hd, again error not able to copy.

I use verbatim and tdk media with nec ND1300a i know that this media is compatible with my burner and i dont think the error is caused by poor media or firmware all is up to date and i have no problems at all to burn somthing, NEC was always good 2 me.

I will doe a verify with True Image later on, at least to see if the image is ok.

Later

Jeph

14. Chutsman

The following that you said in your first post is part of the problem, I think:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    ill tried it the two step way writing small files lesser then 2gb to an iso formatet dvd-r the burning process just went fine, but at the time to restore the image it tells me on the second disc the file is corrupt.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

With the 2-step method there is no need to format the dvd media. You simply burn the .tib files as data to the dvd media, just like you would any other data files.

15. Jephrey01

CHUTSMAN: i explained it wrong, ill burned it as an normal data dvd-r just opened nero dvd-iso and drag & droped the files burned it all ok i did not formated before....anyways it is posible to format a dvd-r before burning? never heard that!

16. Jephrey01

Hello again,

finaly i did it!! Ill got my backup to work, as i told you there was aproblem with the 2nd DVD, i was not able to copy the files to HD, ill burned it again verified it and tried to copy again it worked so did the restore.
    True Image did good work for me, there is just one thing now, i know it was discussed before and there a lot of threads about this thang, ill sheduled a task evry week to update my current image, the thing is that the renewal files will be always a bit bigger from the original main backup, i was wondering if i can delete those files, but as i read in previous threads TI will be unable to restore if sum renewal file is missing, i better doe always a full backup, or?
    How are you guys handilin this?.

Best Regards and thanks for support my issue.

Jeph

Duval County

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jeph,

Please note that in order to restore data from an incremental backup, you must have all previous incremental backup files and the initial full backup. If any of successive backups is missing, restoration is impossible. To restore data from a differential backup, you must have the initial full backup as well. Therefore, you can for example create the full (main) backup and then create differential backups, in this case you can delete the previous differential backups, if you do not need them.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.