probems overwriting MBR

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by markfiz, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markfiz

markfiz Registered Member

Hello friends,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one:

I have been in touch with compaq the makers of my PC to resolve a startup problem, but they have not been able to resolve the problem.

Whenever I start my pc after the main compaq advert screen comes up I get 'disc error press any key to continue'. While there are more major problems that can occur, since I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve this unsuccessfully I thought I would try here.

I followed various pieces of advice they gave me until they were beat and suggested that I do a destructive reformat. I did this, convinced that everything would be overwritten and also because of info that I had seen on this forum, but alas, the problem is still there.

This problem first occured when I updated my bios. I have asked compaq for the old bios, but they have not responded to my request, neither have I been able to find the old bios available anywhere.

I have a compaq s6289uk. I'm not sure what other info you might want.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Mark

2. markfiz

Perhaps I ought to mention that I am a great fan of acronis (much better than Norton) and use it all the time. I have also downloaded the device from this website for repairing the MBR, however, after spending 2 days reloading my pc I am a bit reluctant to use it in case I can't start up my machine.

Many thanks

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

are you sure you need to fix the MBR? i think the fix depends which version of windows you have, for XP you boot using the windows cd, go to the recovery console and type
    fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

that should work if you only have one hard drive. i've never done it, so maybe you should wait for someone to confirm this.

4. markfiz

Thanks iceni60,

I admit I'm not sure if this is an MBR problem or not. The error comes up just after the compaq advert shows up, giving me acess to the bios etc. I do have an XP disc so I could try your suggestion. I also thought that the acronis recovery manager would re-write the MBR but when I tried it it didn't.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Do you have your original mobo drivers disk - the one you get when you buy a new pc - there you will find your old bios. Check under bios settings that the hdd is enabled (maybe you ticked disable by mistake ??).
    Mrk

6. markfiz

This pc came with recovery discs and no bios software that I'm aware of.

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    That's a big problem. You can't go back in time - but NEVER buy a pc without all its installation disks - preinstalled ones are a bitch.
    Try what I suggested with bios options.
    Next, try to run a BartPE or UBCD4WIN live Windows cd and salvage your data. Also you can try to fix mbr using these disks - and then, if nothing works, try maybe your recovery disk.
    Mrk

P.S. Never flash a bios unless everything is fully, doubly backed up --- and always make sure the stash of relevant installation disks and drivers is nearby.

8. markfiz

Okay Mrkvonic,

I'll check the bios as you suggested. I've looked at a website about UBCD4WIN, it looks a bit advanced for me though.

I notice since activating the acronis startup recovery manager that the error shows up just before that comes on, I wonder if that's a clue.

I take it that means I just can't get the old bios from off the internet somewhere.

Many thanks

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Maybe you can, but it might prove difficult.
    As to UBCD, it's not advanced. Take your time, read, do it step by step, one at a time, and your time will have proven worth it, you will earn a great rescue tool + knowledge.
    Mrk

10. markfiz

Thanks for your help Mrkvonic,

I think I've cracked it the pc is booting ok now. It looks like you were right about the HDD thing, I think it was trying to boot from my flash drive.

It would be nice to learn about that other stuff but I think for now I'll stick with my working pc.

Thanks again

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You're welcome.
    Still, I suggest you take some time and learn a bit about customized live cds, rescue disks etc. They might prove really worthy, time saving and nerves saving.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.