Probably dumb question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Let's see, how to begin. I've been experimenting with the Freeze option for the past two weeks ... I'm really starting to like this Freeze thingie. Just one question, probably stupid.

As many of you know, I have NEVER used the Anchor feature. I am tempted to anchor ONLY the bookmark.html file that Firefox uses for bookmarks. A couple of times after I reboot with the Freeze option, I realize that I have forgotten to save my bookmark.html file onto my other hard drive (I have a macro that does that very quickly) so I have lost any bookmarks that I have made.

My question: How likely is it for my bookmark.html file to become infected by a virus, using the usual security programs that we all use here at Wilders? As some of you know, I have been hesitant to use the Anchor feature because that would "carry over" any infections into other Snapshots.

Thank you,
    Acadia

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

That's an interesting question Acadia. I believe anything in your computer that is not protected can be written to or changed. Not so much for text (.txt) files but html might be different. I would also like to know if malware uses the bookmark.html for redirection?

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ahhhh, hadn't thought of that, GOOD question.

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Another solution is to move the folder "profiles" to another partition than [C:]
    I did this manually, but I recently read that it also seems to be possible to create a new profile in Firefox itself. I didn't try that method yet.
    In that case you don't have to anchor anything.

Keeping the good changes is a problem in frozen snapshots, that can only be solved in 3 ways :
    1. Anchoring folders and/or files
    2. Unfreeze/Freeze, not very good for bookmarks.
    3. Moving to another partition, if the software allows you to do that.
    But all three have pros and cons. :)

PS. Maybe there are other methods, but I don't know these.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not quite sure about this reasoning because even if you don't use the data anchoring and you copy/update a snapshot what's to stop infections being "carried over" anyway?

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I always scan the bookmark.html file with NOD and Spy Sweeper before copying it to my other drive. I guess that they could miss something.

Acadia

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That's the thing -- if you routinely scan then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, anchor or no anchor.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Another option is to move the bookmarks file to another disk by creating a user.js text file with the following text:
    Code:
    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "X:\\Path To Your\\bookmarks.html");
    http://www.incognu.com/tweaks_userjs.html

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for all the ideas fellows, I might make a macro reminding me to transfer the file before I shut off my pc. o_O

Acadia

10. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

This doesnt look like a firstdefense question. but anyway, thanks wilbert for this. will try it

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Why not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.