Prob: Mssg: Failed to write to the sector 0 of the hard disk 1

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jaygo, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygo

jaygo Registered Member

Hi,

I just installed Disk Director Suite 10 (having previously uninstalled Suite 9) and discovered I cannot control which partition the program is installed to, even when I choose the "custom" install option. This isn't my problem but I thought I would ask, preliminarily, if Suite 10 has taken away this flexibility?

My Dell PC, by way of background, has XP Home SP2 as the OS, 1 GB RAM, 2.2 GHZ Pentirum 4, 3 hard drives, all partitioned NTFS.

I "believe" but am not sure that I installed OS Selector, as the standalone product when I installed Director Suite 9, and I seem to remember having a problem with its installation; I never used it. I did not see a separate "uninstall" option for OS Selector when I uninstalled Director Suite 9 today.

It was my intention NOT to install OS Selector when given the choice during the Suite 10 install routine; unfortunately I was not given a choice whether or not to install OS Selector during Suite 10's installation routine. I believe it has installed.

The immediate problem is that when I exit Director Suite 10, now, I receive an error message that says:

"Failed to write to the sector 0 of the hard disk 1"

and I am given several choices including ignore, retry, retry all, and cancel. Retry doesn't help. Pressing ignore, ignore all, and cancel, then results in the program shutting down. I remember encountering this same error message during the Suite 10 install routine this morning.

I will endure the error message on exiting Suite 10 if the message pertains to OS Selector and its apprently failed install, as I really didn't want to install it anyway. Does the message only relate to OS Selector or does the "writing to a sector" which the message alludes to relate to operations I may have conducted, or configurations I may have made, in the non-OS Selector portion of Suite 10.

Even better yet, is there any way to uninstall OS Selector under Suite 10 or deactivate it, without uninstalling Suite 10 entirely?

I can safely edit the registry so if there are directions you can give me to solve my problem that require registry editing, please don't hesitate to describe them to me. TIA. jaygo

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaygo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Please note that you are able to choose the path where to install Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (next screen after you choose Custom Setup, "Browse" button). Please also note that Acronis OS Selector is not installed during the installation of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. Acronis OS Selector should be installed manually (Start->All Programs->Acronis->Acronis Disk Director->Install Acronis OS Selector) if you want to use it.

Concerning the error message you receive:

Please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe

If the problem does persist, please enable logging by running the update once more, reproduce the program failure and send us the c:\snapapi.log file.

If the problem still persist please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Select System Information;
    - In File(or Action) menu choose Save...
    - Select Save as type: "Version 5.0/6.0 System Information File(*.NFO)";
    - Send us the file created.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. jaygo

jaygo Registered Member

Semyonov,

Attached is my snapapi.log file. Hopefully the problem will be self-evident from the attached file. Jaygo

Attached Files:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jaygo,

Unfortunately this issue needs some more investigation. I will need the information requested in my previous reply along with the following for investigation:

Could you please do the following?

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/devicetree.zip

- Run the application;
    - Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;
    - Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;
    - Make a screen shot and send it to us.

Please note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Please also let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team. I will take care of it.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.