Proactive Security (HIPS) or Fwl?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tec505, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Can I use SSM or ProSecurity instead of a regular Firewall (such as ZA, OA, COMODO or others)?

Is it sufficient to obtain a good security or these are real two different products, not comparable and with not the same purposes?

Thanks in advance to everyone would illuminate me :cool:
    Best regards.
    Mike

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Theyre different products. HIPS dont provide inbound protection from hackers.

Though if you already have a router or hardware firewall, you can use HIPS for outbound protection.

3. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

Mike

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Dynamic Security Agent (DSA) is a combination firewall & HIPS. Whereas ProSecurity only covers outgoing, DSA covers inbound as well as outgoing. However, DSA's firewall component is pretty much set-it-forget-it. If you like tweaking, choose something else -- there's very little to configure with DSA.

For a HIPS with a full-on power firewall, have a look at Online Armor. OA is the swiss-army-knife of malware protection.

5. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin.
    OA is exactely what i would on my PC (Fwl+HIPS). I'm going to test onboard.
    I can add that ZA Pro (or other fwl) + HIPS are more expensive than only one product like OA, I think.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Prosecurity handles both incoming and outgoing connections. If you're behind a firewalled router then PS is sufficient imo.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I do not know of any stand-alone HIPS application (including Prosecurity) that even *claims* to provide incoming firewall capability of any significant effectiveness whatsoever.

However, "if you're behind a firewalled router" (as the poster said) then you don't actually need ANY additional incoming protection. In fact a "firewalled" router isn't really essential, per se. Just about any old NAT (Network Address Translation) router will suffice -- even a cheapie.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't know if it has full on firewall capabilities but from personal experience it does allow you to control inbound connections to applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.