Pro Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by treehouse786, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i am not running any real-time protection on my machine (apart from common sense) , i currently do daily full disk imaging and and weekly scans with 9 on demand scanners.

i want some sort of real-time protection simply because i like to tinker now and then, i had a quick look a bufferzone pro but i could not see how it differs from sandboxie.

for starters, could someone explain the functional difference between sandboxie and bufferzone?

and secondly, please can you guys recommend a non signature based first and only line of protection (apart from sandboxie as like to keep my bookmarks, history, passwords etc in firefox without having to faff around)

many thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can use group policies (such as SRP/Applocker) or a good HIPS/Firewall for first line of defence. Internet Safety Checkers/DNS Services can also be useful.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I have 0 experience with bufferzone so I can't help with that.

I currently use Comodo's Defense+ as my dedicated line of defense. It automatically sandboxes unknown files and you can force programs into sandboxes as well.

The Comodo firewall is alright, I use it because it's there more than anything else.

I also use EMET.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

DefenseWall. More than enough for an advanced user to protect their PC.

5. treehouse786

thanks for the suggestions, was strongly considering bufferzone pro but their forums have put me off big time, there are questions which have not been answered in over 3 months..

so that rules out;
    sandboxie
    bufferzone pro
    defensewall (not to my liking)

what i am looking for is an application specific virtualizer/sandbox that can isolate individual programs and can then 'commit' the changes when i want it too. surely there must be something out there that can do this?

oh and am already running a DNS service and will probably be using bitdefender trafficlight once its out of beta

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

wondershare timefreeze is what I've been using for almost 2 years (still using version 1.0) . I tried bufferzone, sandboxie, safespace which are good for there niches but I prefer to use an uncomplicated hammer that doesn't need no programming skills are reading the manual. Only 2 things to think about, enable protection, disable protection.
    Timefreeze puts your entire c drive in virtual mode, its main advantage is that it allows you to exit virtual mode without rebooting (and saving the changes you made) to discard any changes made you do need to reboot.
    For me its work great and has never been compromised, version 2 is suppose to much better.

7. treehouse786

is it possible to virtualise a single program instead of the whole c drive?

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Time Freeze virtualizes your system, you can not use it to virtualize a single
    program, for that you should use Sandboxie.

Bo

9. treehouse786

update;

i have chosen Mamutu

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Whoa thats a twist. You didn't like either sandboxie or bufferzone? Did you try geswall? I'm not sure if you have a 64 or 32 bit.

11. treehouse786

i wanted the program to not hinder me in my daily browsing of the web, i needed to be able to access my full browsing history and add bookmarks without any hassle, no sandbox program that i know off can provide protection whilst letting bookmarks, browsing history, add on updates etc easily write to the real system. mamutu lets me do this whilst still providing solid protection.

i will keep searching though as there might be something better

12. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I have a PC running without any AV guard. I use Norton and Comodo DNS with Firefox, NoScript, and WOT. I also use VirusTotal Uploader for most of my downloads and Hitman Pro for the larger ones. I regularly scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware and occasionally use an online AV web scanner. This machine has been malware free for the last 3 months.

Good Luck,
    SourMilk out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.