PrivaZer is free for all /// but how could we earn money ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by The_PrivaZer_Team, Mar 24, 2013.

?

How do earn money with PrivaZer ?

1. Donations

40 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Advertising

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Paid version

44 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Keep it updated and put a reasonable price on it :thumb:

2. The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team Developer

Thanks for your suggestions.

We are trying to get enough donations.
    If it can pay the bill, that would be great.

You can have a look on donations here :
    http://privazer.com/donate2.php

Our goal is to have at least two developers working full time on PrivaZer to develop PrivaZer + other new tools
    and answer questions from users.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

why no option for donations by mobile?

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A possible idea for a free and paid version. The free version could cover what is stored by Windows itself, temp, shellbags, MRUs, etc. Have the pro version cover tracks left by commonly used applications, eg. PDF apps, IM software, etc.

5. The_PrivaZer_Team

With Paypal ?

6. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

@RADEON0101

:thumb: :thumb: Agree completely.

It's hard to market a company that only produces one product, especially to customers worried about continued product development and support. Where I think you could make improvements is in expanding your product bases, clearly segmenting the major features of your product through your application and website design. On a final note, I dig the blue and white, but I think a warmer, brighter blue with a polished white (I'm thinking a marble) would be more inviting. Can't tell you the number of third party applications I've passed up simply because the website layout made me think warez or because the application came across as a phony knock-off of a real application. Not saying your current product is like this, but there is certainly something odds that I can't seem to put my finger on.

7. roady

roady Registered Member

8. dwdraw2

dwdraw2 Registered Member

Personally, I like what Malwarebyte's does: they offer a one time buying fee between 25-29 US dollars, with lifetime updates. But, their forum ask for free donations to help out on resolving issues, after all, this takes up time from the expert from doing other duties.:rolleyes:

A forum is always going to be needed for the novice and experienced for the issues that they encounter, for updates, and any changes on interface.

Also, Malwarebyte's offer a free version of their software. It excludes a couple of features that the Pro (paid) version has. Maybe you could have less security wipes, exclude certain sectors in the clean-up process, etc. You'll know better than I on those issues.

Thanks for your time.

dwdraw2

9. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello dwdraw2,

Malwarebyte's is a good example to follow.

What we intend to do :
    - to have a "Donor" version with automatic updates.
    - to have a "Pro" version with extra features...

10. dwdraw2

I forgot to add another reason that Malwarebyte's has free donation for their forum site, is to help with the cost of maintaining the site. Something to think about.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your time.

dwdraw2

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

In case you didn't know FWIW: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2319514&postcount=12

12. dwdraw2

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't been to their site for a while.

I was lucky to get in on the "lifetime" deal. I think I paid a one-time fee of $29.00 at the time they came out with the "lifetime" offer. Lucky me!:)

Thanks for the reply and your time.

dwdraw2

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No problem. You're welcome :thumb:

14. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Guys, I think another option you might think about is to develop a mobile version (android, iOS and windows) which is going to be available to "premium" users only...
    Similar to what Lastpass does.

15. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I think this is the best idea because if you start chopping up the product into pro and free for pc users you will lose user confidence and enthusiasm in the product because what's the point of user input if the user is disenfranchised from the result of his/her efforts and doesn't benefit.

16. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

If you received $5 from all 100,000 users that's a million dollars.
    If there are only 5 people working on this, that's $200,000 each.
    If the work is done after your normal job which pays only $100,000/year, that's still pretty good.

If you:
    1) develop a good web site that presents the advantages of your product and
    2) get software review sites to rank your product and link to your site and
    3) you charge $5 for a 3 year licence ($1.67/year), (how can anyone complain? that's almost Free) and
    4) as a result you sell another 100,000 new licences for $5, each year then
    5) by year 4 you'll have a pile of money coming in on a regular, never ending basis and you can quit your other jobs.

Offer a free trial good for 60 days then it's over unless a licence is purchased.

The thing is, you have to put the value of your product into perspective with other software, i.e. the benefits received for the price paid over time.
    A Widows OS is one example, there's a lot offered for the one time price of ~$150. Compare the prices of AV/HIPS, a lot more to them than yours. But $5 over 3 years is so cheap it's impossible to see anyone refuse that deal.
    Of course you can have bulk licencing, $8 for 2 PCs, $11 for 3 PCs, the idea is that you get new customers and don't really care how many PCs they have. For $15 - unlimited PCs in the same household (for 3 years).

What with the current 'Snowden vs. the NSA' ruckus, if you get your message out, you should get new customers.

Now you also have to review how you got the current 100,000 users/customers. I'm guessing it wasn't entirely through Wilders but it might have been a 'word-of-mouth' through Wildrers, only you know (or at least you should know). Push those sources as much as you can.

I've already donated, but I'd still go with a 3 year renewal in future to keep you actively supporting the product as a 'Full' product, not one where 'Free' means 'not everything' is included.

My 2 cents...

J

17. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Is PrivaZer going to be discontinued?:(

18. The_PrivaZer_Team

Maybe,
    - less time
    - my wife will have a second baby in September

19. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

did you see my PM?

20. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I would propose the following:
    - Free version with basic functions
    - full version with 2 years upgrades for $5.99 for 1 computer
    - full version with 10 year upgrades for 15.99 for 2 computers
    - lifetime for $39.99 for 10 computers
    You do need to make sure that the full version has something spectacular to offer. People usually won't pay for cleaner software, especially that CCleaner is free. So you could consider the following features:
    - silent automatic program updates in the background
    - automatic cleaning with very low resources usage also in the background
    - you would probably need few more to justify people to spend big bucks on it
    Overall the program is very good.

21. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello,

thanks for your suggestions. :thumb:

Yes, we've read your PM, JW Clements, :thumb:
    thanks to share your thoughts with us.
    Just give us some more time to think about all of this...
    We will inform you as soon as we meet any decision

BTW,
    PrivaZer v2.15 just released :
    http://privazer.com/download.php

Thanks

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'd say paid version is the best way to go.

23. wallpapers

wallpapers Registered Member

I don't think it can survive with just donations. I think the best way is to make a free version and paid version with more features. Paid version will need features that make it superior to free rival products ( ccleaner ) so people have a reason for buying it. Free version will still need to be superior to rival products ( ccleaner ) so you can build a huge userbase of maybe future buyers. I personnaly don't really like the idea of having to pay but if it allows you to make the best cleaner and keep it updated forever then I will gladly buy it. I personnaly think privazer is already superior to ccleaner because it cleans only non-zero free space and cleans deeper ( usn journal ). It takes forever to clean free space using ccleaner but only takes a few minutes with privazer.

24. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I agree.

Not a good idea, if people using the free version don't get to see the features in the paid version, they won't likely decide to buy.

Actually both the free and paid versions would need to be better than rivals.

I disagree.

I agree.
    So it's clearly worth paying for this aspect alone, if you value your time.

Most of the people looking for 'something free' expect that they themselves are paid for work that they do. That's very unfair. In fact they expect to be paid even when starting a new job and the employer doesn't have any proof that they are going to be 'worth their salt'. At least with a trial version of software, we get to evaluate before committing any money. I don't care for the 'pay up front & we'll refund if you don't like it' model. It places an extra burden on both parties and an exceptional burden on the purchaser if the refund is not issued as promised and a claim has to be submitted through a credit card or other payment institution.

J

25. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello to all,

what we plan to do in next releases (v2.18 and v2.19) to survive :

1. add a button in the free release to upgrade to the "donors" version (v2.18 )
    Donors will be able to enter their serial number in the free version to upgrade to the "DONORS" version
    2. "Donors version" for 1 year = $5 or more (donationware). $5/year is fair, isn't it?
    3. Add extra features in the "Donors version" :
    • Priority support
    • v2.19 will start offering automatic updates
    4. issue a "pro" version with "pro" features

We have 250,000/300,000 users so far. 1% of donors will represent 3,000 donors giving, let's say, $15 = $45,000/year (enough to survive)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.