Privatefirewall VERSION 7.0.20.47

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MasterTB, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Did it freeze completely or just momentarily; i.e. would it eventually recover? This could be caused by your antivirus. I have seen the same behavior with other firewalls when accessing the applications list when running under some antiviruses. Switching to a different antivirus solved the problem. I suppose I could have also excluded the antivirus from scanning the files the firewall was accessing. Just a thought.

2. paul1149

paul1149 Registered Member

It was a total freeze. Never considered the antivirus. Never had seen this problem before. You might be right about setting an exclusion, and I'll keep that in mind for future use. But I was frustrated at being shut out of their forum for no reason and being unable to contact them about it, so I decided that I needed to move on anyway.

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Prio Task manager extension might be ok for this. it didn't show data rates on my system though (Vista x64). I don't recall how it operates on other OS's.

4. paul1149

Expresso,

Wow, I've been running Prio now for about two months, and have been absolutely delighted with it. It enabled me to set my backup program to play nicely rather than commandeer my whole session while I was working - without $upgrading$ to the latest version of the backup program. One VERY excellent utility, and graciously provided free of charge.

But I didn't know the rich info balloons and the extra Services and TCP/IP tabs in Task Manager were its children. That makes Prio even more outstanding. And because I usually run TM in a window, I wasn't aware of all the rest of the columns in the TCP/IP tab, including transfer rates. This does exactly what I'm looking to do, and with no extra overhead.

I actually don't use this function often, but occasionally there is no substitute for seeing which apps are transferring at what rates.

Thanks for the nod to Prio, to which I give my highest recommendation.

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Can someone tell me how much memory Privatefirewall uses? I've installed it and it starts out at around 25 megs. After a few hours it climbs up to around 70 megs and stays there. Is this normal?

Edit:

The program PFGUI.EXE climbs to 70 megs.

6. paul1149

I'm running XP, sp3 on a small laptop, and PFGUI is now at 27M RAM and 17M VM, after being up five hours, and with the system being placed on Standby about four times during that time.

7. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

A simple reboot seems to have fixed the issue for me. Been running for several hours and everything seems to be fine.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In an earlier post I mentioned that PFW seems rather weak against keyloggers. However, I am now running Prevx, which has SafeOnline (SOL) as an integral component. SOL is very powerful against the full spectrum of keyloggrs. Therefore, by running PFW & Prevx in real-time, I have good protection I think.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SITUATION- I want to configure PFW so that Firefox's
    plugin-container.exe is limited to port 1935 for remote connections. My problem is that port 1935 is not on PFW's drop-down list of ports.

HELP PLEASE- I am not savvy enough to figure out how to add port 1935 to PFW's list. Is there a way? How?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hi bellgamin, when you click the remote drop down list you should be able to type 1935 into the box.And click ok to save.
    hope that helps

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I *thought* I had previously tried that, but I tried again anyhow. Poof! It worked.

Many thanks for the help!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YET AGAIN - When setting custom rules, PFW offers the choice "H" (High) or "L" (Low). Doofus would appreciate suggestions as to when to check H, when to check L & when to check both H & L.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  11. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

High stands for untrusted networks (The Internet and LAN networks you are connected to but don't want to share with)

Low stands for trusted networks (That is of course your Home, work or any other LAN you are connected and want to share with).

Martin.-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.