Privatefirewall updated

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I find the html log easier to read and slightly more informative (for me at least).

Attached Files:

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am a fan of PFW, and so is my IT. However, the *main* firewall+HIPS that I run real-time, day in & day out, is OA-Premium. There are several reasons. Here is only one of those reasons . . .

1- Every other firewall I have used has an "Install Mode" (or, in PFW's case, a "Training Mode").

1a- Install Mode is designed to prevent a LOT of pop-ups when installing a new software. However, using Install Mode means that you are forfeiting a high percentage of the HIPS+firewall's protection, in order to stop getting pop-ups.

1b- To a large extent, "Install Mode" might more accurately be labeled as "Unprotected Mode" or "Anything Goes Mode". :argh:

2- OA also has an Install Mode. It is included there: (a) for those who have a LOT of confidence in whichever software they are installing at the time OR (b) for those who are lazy or dumb or just don't give a rip

2a- However, OA also has a check block for "Install this program in Run Safer Mode" (this may not be the exact wording. I'm doing this from memory.) A program installed in Run Safer mode cannot do any real, lasting harm to registry or system files.

2b- Further, OA also has a check block for making a Restore Point prior to doing the install.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. - As a side note:

I detest saying nice things about Comodo :doubt: - - - HOWEVER, I have *heard* that Comodo FW includes the provision for sandboxing during an install. If so -- & if it works right -- & if it is relatively painless to use -- then I shall reluctantly give the devil his due. Easy/effective sandboxing of an install is a much MUCH better option than the "Install Mode" that is found on most other firewalls (even some good/famous ones, sad to say).

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

@bellgamin;

Thanks for the reply.:)

I have been a long time user of OA Premium. I am currently maintaining OA Premium and OA++ in 2 systems. My personal system firewall is Outpost Pro. Only thing that bothers me with OA is the slow boot time. It takes longer to display all items in the desktop/before you can use the pc. That's in the old pc(test pc). But in my main pc when I tested it there when OP was crashing on me it wasn't so. Still is unresolved in the OA forums up to now.

The test hdd I use is a clone from my personal safe/secure system(which has Outpost Pro..after the clone, mounted it and removed OP Pro). Actually same set-up with the one's with OA Premium/OA++. Only the firewalls are different.

I clone my main pc system so that I will have a real view on what/how a "new" apps behaves under my use/preference as compared to existing tested set-up I have. From there I gauge if I will retain/list is an an alternative to my apps.

I was not on Training mode when I did the test.

"1a- Install Mode is designed to prevent a LOT of pop-ups when installing a new software. However, using Install Mode means that you are forfeiting a high percentage of the HIPS+firewall's protection, in order to stop getting pop-ups."
    -- In OA you may be referring to the "Trust everything on this computer". Well in my observations/experience OA and OP even though you have use/import/loaded your "tested/desired config" the pop-ups will still spring into action on a new install. Especially with OA wether it be free/Premium/++. It will go about double checking everything until it dies down in a couple of days. OA has a Safety Check wizard and although I have what I know is a secure/safe set-up, I ALWAYS do it. I let it scan all that's in my system, especially the clone(which is from the safe/secure pc system). Personally, I do not choose "Trust everything on this computer" in OA eventhough my clone is a tested secure/safe hdd. In OA / OP "Learning mode" is a setting after you install it. But I do not avail of it when I know that my set-up is secure. I make a list of all my apps that are to be set/excluded/rules/apps ports settings etc from the previous set-up I have (both OA/PO Pro is my basis) and apply it on the firewall I am to test. Same as when I tried out CIS.

"1b- To a large extent, "Install Mode" might more accurately be labeled as "Unprotected Mode" or "Anything Goes Mode"
    "2- OA also has an Install Mode. It is included there: (a) for those who have a LOT of confidence in whichever software they are installing at the time OR (b) for those who are lazy or dumb or just don't give a rip"
    -- Hmmm...someone/somebody here at Wilders may see it differently...But to me those who choose so may have a valid reason and not just "...those who are lazy or dumb or just don't give a rip..". In my case based on the experience/observations I have with my tested/secure/safe system I know what to set in the firewall. It's the matter of finding/learning it where it is to be set or if the program is capable of setting up (has this feature or not) what you want(and know if okay/right). Surely those who have some experience try to use that experience on a new/similar program and not just let the buck eat it all up. Even those who are not experts say, have an idea how his program works based from previous long time experience will use that experience to find/set appropriately what he knows is a good set-up.

"Install Mode" might more accurately be labeled as "Unprotected Mode" or "Anything Goes Mode"..."Trust everything in OA" --well I believe even if I chose that I will get a TruStealth in OA free. But that's just me. Using Safety Check Wizard and settings based on OA Premium(OA free does not have an export/import config), I had a 6 out of 6 TruStealth with GRC.

"2a- However, OA also has a check block for "Install this program in Run Safer Mode" (this may not be the exact wording. I'm doing this from memory.) A program installed in Run Safer mode cannot do any real, lasting harm to registry or system files."
    --Yes. And RunSafer is a choice when you don't know a particular program or something OA flags as "orange" you have the option to use RunSafer. Or you also can choose to tick the checkbox "RunSafer unknown programs". Sort of a DropMyRights option/protection. Some say it kinda sandboxes the app for a limited user right...some say that but I prefer SBIE paid to do that for me. I always use SBIE. Have tried GesWall to compare performance but I like sandboxie more.

2b- Further, OA also has a check block for making a Restore Point prior to doing the install.
    --Yes it has.

"I detest saying nice things about Comodo - - - HOWEVER, I have *heard* that Comodo FW includes the provision for sandboxing during an install. If so -- & if it works right -- & if it is relatively painless to use -- then I shall reluctantly give the devil his due. Easy/effective sandboxing of an install is a much MUCH better option than the "Install Mode" that is found on most other firewalls (even some good/famous ones, sad to say)."
    -- I dont hate Comodo. Some here at Wilders love it and have learned to love it with their own settings based on their observations/experiences. IMO it's a good firewall. I did use it years ago but ditched it due to being a resource hog and of course the "pop-ups forever-seems to be not learning the rules you create thing"...The new version of OA seems to be like this now..throw you a ton of pop-ups even if you have imported saved config. CIS has 3 checkboxes upon installation (a) AV (b) firewall w/D+ (c) firewall D+ max which I believe has the sandbox feature. In my trial of CIS it literally made the test system crawl. Resource shot up to 98% most of the time...tsk..the pop-ups seems not to allow me to work at all. Even when I disabled the sandbox feature it was the same. The only good thing I had was the GRC result 6 out of 6 TruStealth, the improved GUI and I can block access to certain files and folders. OP Pro has it but OA does not. Still will not use CIS.

I hope you being INDEED A FAN of PFW7 was not sensitive/or something of the post I made. There was not in any way any intention to bash or be a basher of the product you are a fan about. I don't do that. I am on a trial still.

I also mentioned that, "I believe these are preliminary hiccups nothing more..."

As a matter of fact as I stated that,

"....Just added my observations here. I heard a good lot of points here and majority of it came because you were backing it up(and I believe you dude). From there and from experience of your help here at wilders' I tried it out. Well on my account it did not went fine as compared to the 2 I am trying out now...It's on me if for a time of testing I will like it too or not. Personal preference will always be top for anybody...."

Smile dude..:D

I am open-minded to trials I do and ask questions when warranted/I see it fit. Before any trial I do and also try to get a lot of info through reading/observations/asking around/reviews and stuff. I also make it sure that I try it on a safe/secure clone which makes it easier for me IF program will be of "use"/pass my preferences on the basis of the previous set-up I have. From there I'll decide if a "passed-program" can migrate to my main system or will remain as a tested-alternative or ditch it. In my manufacturing engineering profession "trying to make it work" is a staple. We use QCTools/DOE/FMEA on issues we encounter (especially on machines/materials we evaluate prior usage to production) and with the ideaology comes tons of asking questions/comparisons/trials.

I will be contacting the PFW CS on the issues and from there will gauge/decide if I see it fit to "like it/prefer it" too. As mentioned again, personal preference will always be top for anybody on resources at hand.

Regards:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have a license for OP but haven't used it for a while. Between OP & OA, which do you feel has the LEAST drag when surfing the internet?

I have no idea about boot time. I initiate the boot-up sequence then immediately go make my morning cup of Longview's Sumatra-Dark. When I return, coffee cup in hand, my computer's desktop is waiting for me, ready to go.

Nope. I was referring to "Install Mode" -- here's a screenie of the bottom part of OA's alert that appears when installing a new program...

ScrHunt01 26-Aug-10.gif

Good. When you contact them, please request that they update PFW so as to allow making an easy back-up/restore of the user's configurations. PFW's support has had many requests for this option, & has said they are "thinking about it." Perhaps adding your request to the pile will cause them to speed up their thinking. :)

I enjoyed reading your comments. As for those considering PFW, I might add that PFW feels much lighter & peppier than any other FW+HIPS I have tried -- that is the case on my computer (your mileage may differ). Also, PFW's Anomaly detector is unlike the coverage offered by any other FW. It can catch stuff that other FWs might miss. That is a primary reason why my IT likes PFW so much. Bear in mind -- PFW's Anomaly detector is a component OVER & ABOVE its FW and its HIPS.

5. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi bellgamin;

That was fast.

"I have a license for OP but haven't used it for a while. Between OP & OA, which do you feel has the LEAST drag when surfing the internet?"
    -- Outpost Pro hands down. That's why I use it on my main pc and not OA Premium. OA on my test system sometimes makes it slow..that is an observation on both OA++ and OAfree( OAfree feels much lighter but less features..tsk). I may try out the new OP7 but have not nodded yet. It has the Proactive feature added they say.

"I have no idea about boot time. I initiate the boot-up sequence then immediately go make my morning cup of Longview's Sumatra-Dark. When I return, coffee cup in hand, my computer's desktop is waiting for me, ready to go."
    --Hmmm..coffee-lover like me! Well, I boot up first and wait till it's good and okay. When I reach my desk Maxwell dark black coffee is brought to me by our clerk. But that's in the office at home..varies. The boot time issue has been there although now it seems to affect users randomly mostly in XP. OA forums still dont have an answer. I even asked it to Mike before. Never replied. It was catprincess who was patient with us there.

"Nope. I was referring to "Install Mode" -- here's a screenie of the bottom part of OA's alert that appears when installing a new program..."
    --I thought what you meant was during installion of firewall.

"..When you contact them, please request that they update PFW so as to allow making an easy back-up/restore of the user's configurations.."
    -- Yes I will. I really like an app with that feature. It makes set-up smooth.

"I enjoyed reading your comments. As for those considering PFW, I might add that PFW feels much lighter & peppier than any other FW+HIPS I have tried -- that is the case on my computer (your mileage may differ). Also, PFW's Anomaly detector is unlike the coverage offered by any other FW. It can catch stuff that other FWs might miss. That is a primary reason why my IT likes PFW so much. Bear in mind -- PFW's Anomaly detector is a component OVER & ABOVE its FW and its HIPS."
    --Yes I agree. It's lightness seem reminded about OP Pro when I was using it. On my test system, OP Pro is ligther than OA free. Was thinkng of pairing PFW7 with Mamutu but I'll wait for the CS's reply.

Regards!

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

in timcan's picture, it shows "advanced reports" under view, how come i dont have that option? is it because im using vista 64 bit?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  7. lws

lws Registered Member

I had the same problem with the avast automatic updates and pfw. Uninstalled, reinstalled both avast and pwi, one before the other, vice versa, changed the the connection in avast to direct and still had a problem. Finally, I just uninstalled pwf and installed pctfw beta and now no problems with avast updating.

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

can anyonle tell me why on my private firewall i dont have "Advanced Reports" like it shows in timcan's picture?

i downloaded the installer from their official website. timcan did tell me that that picture was on a 32 bit computer and mine is a 64bit computer. could that possibly be the reason why i dont have "Advanced Reports" under view? everything else is identical except for that 1 missing option.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am now running this firewall and I am very impressed, very simple with no alerts so far. Seems light and no conflicts with any of my other software.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

A quick question by default is PrivateFire always silent? I have not had an alert out of it since installing but by viewing the log I can tell it's working. Maybe I am use to my past firewalls I have used where I was always alerted with tons of alerts of installing for the first time.

11. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

As you can see, using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on vmware, the advanced reports is showing.

What x64 OS are you using ?

http://a.imageshack.us/img14/1557/84001936.jpg

12. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Maybe by chance you have activated the training mode? Or maybe so far you have only used programs by trusted publishers (whitelisted)?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yeah most my used app's must be white listed. I have installed 3 programs since I got this new computer and all their vendors were white listed.

14. fblais

fblais Registered Member

By default, training mode is ON for three days after install, if I remember correctly.

15. Night_Raven

Funny. It's true. But there is also a small bug right there that has been making me think otherwise for a long time.
    Here's what I just found out after I investigated this a bit more in depth. After installation Privatefirewall is indeed in training mode. This can be confirmed by rightclicking the program icon in the system tray - 'Training' is checked. However I have been under the impression that the firewall is in normal mode. This is because whenever I install it (in a VM to test something) I always tweak a few settings before I start doing anything. One of the things I do is I disable System Anomaly Detection (in Settings -> Advanced). In that very same window is also a setting to enable training mode. This setting however is unchecked by default. If one installs Privatefirewall, opens the Settings -> Advanced window and clicks OK immediately, without actually changing a single option, the training mode turns off.
    Basically the 'Training' option in the context menu in the system tray icon and the 'Enable Training' option in Settings -> Advanced are NOT completely in sync and this may cause some confusion. The latter does activate the first one, but not vice versa. However enabling either one will indeed turn on the training mode.

I hope I managed to explain this well enough since it's a difficult to do with words.

16. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

@Night_Raven
    I think that the firewall starts in training mode automatically after installation for about ten minutes (that is why you don't see it checked when you go to advanced settings) and that is for the process detection, not the whole firewall.
    There are also training periods for System Anomaly, Mail Anomaly and the Process and Monitor Settings.

check: http://www.privacyware.com/PF_User_Guide.pdf

17. Night_Raven

My bad then. :)

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have unchecked Training mode yesterday. Well finally I got to see some action out of it this morning due to some Asus files. So its working it just must have a nice white list.

19. MasterTB

I think it is one of the easiest firewalls to use. Very good HIPS and almost no alerts at all.

The problem with it is that it is only an English firewall, hence it is not so widespread as others.

For instance, I'm form Argentina and english is not our native language so I cannot recommend it to everyone because they don't understand it if they need to respond to an alert, but, if it was translated I think there would be a lot more people using it.

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

You could always open a support ticket with PrivacyWare and ask if they want translators.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

could anyone post some screenshots of what its alerts look like, both for the firewall and HIPS alerts?

22. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Just a note they have many screen shots in the PDF user guide at the PF home page. Right now in my opinion this is the best firewall, the only thing its lacking is a updater.

23. MasterTB

I have :D :D

I'm still waiting for an answer but knowing them, it won't take long. Their support is very good.

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I agree, I sent in a support ticket this morning and I got a personal response. Not one of those "these details can not be shared" responses :D

25. lws

lws Registered Member

I agree. Was using PCTFW and have switched to PFW and am very satisfied with it. Working well with Avast no problems.
    You can check for updates in PFW if you click on "Help" on the main screen then click "About privatefirewall" and a window will popup with "check for updates:http//privacyware.com/" url.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.