Privatefirewall, so what went wrong?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

64 bit W7 system here. I decided to try Pf (had it on an XP machine for a few years) but the installation resulted in W7s version of the bsod. Did I have to turn W7s firewall off prior to installation? I'd assumed the install wizard would do that. All I know is when I booted to finish the installation Windows hung and there wasn't anything being written to my SSD. Pretty nice how after I forced another shutdown and booted again, W7 offered automatic restore.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I have tried it several times on both Win 7 and Vista (both 64 bit) and always got BSOD's shortly after the install reboot. I never pursued the problem but just went back to my previous firewall. I was and am happy with my current firewall but just wanted to try Private Firewall because so many had good things to say. I can't really help you any with your problem but just wanted to let you know that at least you are not the only one to have this experience.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. ratchet

Thank you and quite interesting!

4. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

If you tried many FWs on your PC, simple uninstalls always leave remnants in the registry. You have to take them out. On a newly installed system, I have no problem with PFW;)

5. Rules

Rules Registered Member

I actually run PF on severals computers for many years without any BSOD,

OS are Vista x64 SP2 (all editions), Seven x64 SP1 (all editions), except entreprise version and starter version.

You can use this little app to know what happened and send e-mail to M Greg Salvato and i'm sure he will fix that.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Rules.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

7. itman

itman Registered Member

As I recall, PF does not require a reboot after installation?

In fact, one way not to have issues with PF after installation is to open and close all your applications while it is in the training period. I beleive the training period is 10 mins. after initial install but can be manually extended.

And PF will turn off the WIN 7 firewall during installation; not sure about third party ones. If you had a third party firewall installed. I would recommend uninstalling and removing all remenants prior to installing PF.

Also all real time AV. antispy, etc. software should be disabled when installing PF. This could be your primary culprit.

8. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

This same problem (BSOD) happened to me when I tried to install PrivateFirewall on top of BitDefender AV one time. I uninstalled the AV, installed PF, reinstalled the AV and the system ran fine.

IMO, Itman is on the right track in his post...:thumb:

9. ratchet

It did request a reboot. I didn't have any firewall save for W7s. Sounds like it could be Norton A-V.

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

The first thing that asks is a restart.
    To OP,never had BSOD with PF although i've experienced some lags right after restart.And i always use clean Comodo Time Machine snapshots when i install new security.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

The developer will recommend that you unistall NAV 2011/12, install PF, and then reinstall NAV.

I found that disabling NAV's autoprotect protection and then installing PF was sufficient. Once the PF reboot completes, then enable NAV's auto-protect protection. You should also set minimally ccsvchst.exe in PF's Applications section from Limited to Allow.

I also subsequently added the PFGui.exe and pfsvc.exe from PF x(86) folder in WIN 7 x64 to NAV's auto-protect/Sonar/Downloads exceptions. This eliminated boot conflicts between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.