PrivateFirewall now freeware

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well that is a large part of it's protection isn't it? That basically turns it into more like a pure firewall right? That may not be so bad for my personal preference.

Edit: I guess it would still have an application control engine (application modification) after skimming though the PDF.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I'll take Outpost over this any day of the week.

3. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Outpost is better, Online Armor is better, Comodo is better, PC Toolis better. This thing is nice with all kinds of log info etc but I tried it & someone got into my computer.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Worth noting that Online Armor does not support Windows 7 yet, and although PC Tools Firewall has a Win7 compatible beta it was not stable on my system. I have PrivateFirewall 6.1 installed on two PCs running Win7 x86 and it has been very stable.

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

What happened? I am curious, could you be more specific?

6. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well I got it installed and running on vistax64. Its a lot lighter than comodo on my system. But it is not working right. I have the security alert and threat management options set to: Manual control require user input for all levels with disable auto response selected.

I am not getting any alerts for anything. I have opened several programs that are not listed in applications and have been able to access the internet with them without any response from PF. What is the deal?

Even when I add an app to the application list, and set it to block it, it doesn't. WTF!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  7. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Sorry about NOT knowing to much about Configuring Firewalls, how do I make PrivateFirewall, to popup a screen to ask me whether to ALLOW or Dent an application access to the Internet or call home for that matter?.....Thanks

8. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Go into settings and do the above. Unfortunately it didn't work for my x64 vista.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What OS are you using? I have PF6.1 installed on two systems running Windows 7 RC1 x86 and it provides interactive pop-ups. I have it set to "Standard Control, alert and auto-respond". I also have an applications list where individual apps can be allowed, blocked or filtered by rules.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  10. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Sr'y I did NOT mentioned the OS, XP Pro.....Thanks
    Also, there is NO way to "Disable" the monitoring of processes, I guess is an added layer of security, if a Trojan r Nasty S%#&T, was to get install or execute, it helps to monitor what is activated...

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Check to see that learning mode isn't enabled.

I wouldn't expect much. :rolleyes:

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I had learning mode disabled. I think Privacyware may not have had this quite ready for x64. Then on the other hand it could just be my system.:doubt:

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is some info from the website:

Privatefirewall 6.1 (Windows 7 RC1, Vista 32/64* bit compatible) - VERSION 6.1.20.24, posted 07/27/2009 - Click here to download
    (Select Main Menu/Help/About Privatefirewall 6.1 to find the version number)

*Process Monitor component is disabled in 64 bit environments.

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Yeah the process monitor is not even in the gui on x64, which was fine with me, I could do without it. It may have been training mode not learning mode I had disabled. Either way I had it setup for me to have manual control over inbound and outbound and no auto respond, that way it would popup when a program tried to access and would just sit there until I gave it a answer. In applications I disabled programs from in and out access on all ports and they were still able to connect, and I did not see any pop ups.

15. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Anyone seeing any weirdness with parent application rules? I came back to my computer tonight to find Flashget had stopped downloading and this alert had popped up:

2009-08-20_010259.png

Now, regardless if I remove Flashget and neroaacenc.exe from all the program lists, I get the above popup from neroaacenc.exe (which isn't running) every time I run Flashget from Explorer and try to download.

16. gery

gery Registered Member

is it normal for PF to consume 40 mb on a VISTA HOME PREMIUM machine?

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Not if you have sp2 installed. If you don't it is normal. It has a memory leak with vista that doesn't exist in sp2 as far as I am aware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.