PrivateFirewall now freeware

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Just installed it on a home laptop. Woking perfectly.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the link. They state that PrivateFirewall is Windows 7 compatible and I can confirm that it installs fine on Windows 7 RC1 (x86). It's nice having another choice since the field is pretty small at the moment for Win7. I will use it for a while and see how it goes.

3. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Ive used Privatefirewall for nearly two years without so much as a single issue.
    Our own website was actually the first to carry the official announcement from Privacyware this morning.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Whilst the firewall doesn't have all of the granular settings possible with some others, for many these are not necessary. The new version contains more automation for those not wishing to answer too many popups or you can choose to respond to all alerts if you wish. The training period has been reduced to just 10 minutes by default but changing this setting to one day is probably a better option. I installed mine today using the "manual control" option with everything set to "high" and the alert numbers are easily manageable.

Privacyware do license this technology to Webroot who use it in various desktop security applications including the firewall, but the component mix is not exactly the same. Hence the differences some users will notice between the two.

It's just a shame that DSA now has to leave us as a free standalone HIPS but at least it's retention in Privatefirewall now brings all of this ability to the masses for free.

Note that this is also compatible with Windows 7 RC1

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had to apply the MS hotfix, def memory leak exists in Vista 32 bit. Will see how things go.

5. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

also install's and works fine so far so good under Win 7 RC1 x64.

6. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Will wait for Stem :)

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Is it free or just free download?
    At the end of the manual .pdf file is a long blurb about having to buy and register.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

its free to use, completely free for personal and commercial use.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It's free.
    They probably haven't changed the manual yet.

10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thanks.
    Few more questions.
    On p.13 of the manual is about Application rules. Nice grid.
    What can be modified? Just some checkmarks or, for instance, the port range? On that page is an example where many would be changing the range to 1024-5000. Can that be done?

Can some things be disabled, for instance mail checking (which NOD does for me).

What about LocalHost - does that work with localhost proxy and can the proxy tunnel be limited to only few applications, blocked for others?

11. firzen771

yes the email anomaly can be disabled, and pretty sure other ones can as well.

12. acr1965

Hotfix did not help the memory on Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Now running at 204,152 k. Will have to try this again later if the memory issue is resolved.

13. overangry

overangry Registered Member

After reading through some of the posts, I thought I would give Privatefirewall a try.
    It slowed my pc down a little and it wasn't what I was personally looking for:doubt:

The install was good, but uninstalling it proved to be a nightmare:mad:
    After the first uninstall(Add/Remove programs), I noticed that the firewall was still visible in the task baro_O This left me a little confused, so I pressed on the icon and up comes the GUI... Hmmmm
    I had never uninstalled a program where that was the case.

So I reinstalled and got errors with a missing driver, I was then prompted to reboot which I did, then commenced reinstalling PrivateFirewall (successfully).
    Then I uninstalled PrivateFirewall, this time turning it off before commencing.
    Then I had the following error (see screenshot)
    After 6 installs/uninstalls I downloaded REVO, and successfully removed PrivateFirewall:D Nightmare over!
    Was it my setup or are others experiencing similar issueso_O

Attached Files:

14. firzen771

i had a similar issue uninstalling software and such with Zemana Antilogger a while back, i had to uninstall it to solve the problem, but mine wasnt an error, it just wuldnt let, me, said like rights restriction or something. so it might have been some other security software getting in the way (possibly)

15. acr1965

My uninstall was fairly clean and uneventful. It's kinda odd how security apps can sometimes cause more problems than pretty much any malware a person will ever see.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Glad you remembered Revo Uninstaller. I just use it automatically since more often then not it finds things after the application uninstaller finishes. Even if the uninstall goes smoothly it's rare that an app fully removes itself. I think security applications are more prone to issues since they are designed to resist being disabled (or should be).

17. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I haven't used REVO for quite some time but it has been added to my regular apps.
    Usually I delete the registry left overs manually, only this time it was not possible.
    I just hate it when I have trouble uninstalling a program:mad:

18. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

In the process monitor,why doesn't it list all my processes but only a few??

How can I edit the rules of applications not in the list?

19. johncage

johncage Registered Member

Did you set the setting to 'high'? The 'high' setting will monitor all processes running on your computer.

20. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Privatefirewall Removal Tool
    http://www.freewaregeeks.com/index.php?page=detail&get_id=2294&category=59

21. bonedriven

It makes no difference to set the setting to high. :mad:

22. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well bonedriven this from their site
    and
    so i guess it covers well regardless of what it shows

23. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

So the verdict is? It's a keeper or it's a dud? Sounds like a dud by the feedback here. Has to be a reason why they have it for free?

24. bonedriven

OK. So I think I'll try to manually add rules to the applications not listed.

25. firzen771

its far from a "dud", its still a decent firewall thats free. plus its full featured and not crippled in anyway like other free firewalls because it was a paid product that they just converted into a free one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.