PrivateFirewall - Need Help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by IhazAcarrot, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IhazAcarrot

IhazAcarrot Registered Member

I've been using Comodo Firewall for a couple of years but it has become a bloated mess and I trust it much less than I used to.
    I'm trying to replace it with PrivateFirewall but I'm having trouble getting PrivateFirewall to behave the way I want it to.

I need it to block all programs that try to access the Internet until I grant access.
    For example: If I open Firefox, I want PrivateFirewall to block its access to the Internet, then prompt me to ask me if I want to grant access, and then continue blocking until I grant access.

So far I haven't been able to find a way to make PrivateFirewall do this.

Right now I've got it set to where it asks if I want to grant Firefox access to the Internet but, in the meantime, while its waiting for my answer, it allows Firefox to have access to the Internet.
    In other words, it's allowing Internet access by default and I want it to block access by default.

2. lllbob

lllbob Registered Member

Try this: Open PrivateFirewall. Click File (at the top) Click Settings.
    Put a check by: Disable Trusted Publisher Feature. Click Ok.
    I think that might do the job.

If that does not solve it, remove mozilla from trusted publishers.
    Open PrivateFirewall. Click File (at the top) Click Settings. Click the Advanced tab (at the top).
    Now Click the Trusted Publishers button thingy. lol Then select mozilla corporation. Click Remove. Click Ok.

You may also have to remove firefox from the applications menu, if it has already added it.
    Hope that helps.

Edit: oh yeah.. might need to select: File: Settings: Manual Control. (Require user input for all alerts.)

3. IhazAcarrot

Thank you lllbob for the reply.
    I had already tried checking the Disable Trusted Publisher feature and removed Firefox from the Applications menu. However I hadn't tried removing Mozilla from the list of trusted publishers because I didn't think I'd need to since Disable Trusted Publisher feature was checked.

I did get PrivateFirewall to behave properly though (blocking by default).
    Apparently it's a bit of a bug.
    I had to restart the computer after checking Disable Trusted Publisher feature in order to get it to take effect, but there was no prompt or anything which indicated that such a restart was necessary.

While I have your attention, I have a couple other questions:

1. Do you know how to set up PrivateFirewall so that it only prompts when programs try to access the Internet?
    Right now it's prompting me about application launches & such and I don't need that.

2. The Comodo Firewall tray icon was animated and it indicated incoming and outgoing traffic. It was very useful for keeping an eye on my connection to see if there was traffic at times when there shouldn't have been.
    The PrivateFirewall tray icon is animated as well but it's not conveying any information about traffic; it's just flashing the same thing (five red then one yellow) over and over.
    Do you know if there's an option for setting it to indicate traffic?

4. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

You want to block Firefox from accessing the Internet? Isn't that what browsers do? PrivateFirewall was doing it's job by letting Firefox do what it's supposed to do. Seems like turning off your Internet connection will do what you want.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I think he wants privatefirewall to act like comodo in custom mode.to be alerted to every outbound connection.
    Not sure of privatefirewall as i didnt use it for long.

6. IhazAcarrot

7. IhazAcarrot

I found answers to both of these questions:

1. Turn off Process Monitor (drag the slider all the way down)
    2. PrivateFirewall does not have an option for displaying traffic/activity on the animated tray icon like Comodo Firewall and Zone Alarm have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.