Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

For network shutdown: Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Network Connections>(right-click adapter)>Disable
    At least for Veester tirtytoo bits. :D
    Unplug ethernet. :shrugs:

2. lws

lws Registered Member

I used to use Private firewall but stopped using it because it would not work with Geswall for me. I could not connect to the net using Geswall and PFW either with firefox or IEexplorer. Both would just freeze up on me and give me the error cannot connect. I have since uninstalled PFW and tried Geswall with Outpost, O/A, PC Tools firewall, and am currently using Geswall with Comodo firewall defense+. and all of them worked well with Geswall.
    Could Kee's or anyone else give an explaination as to why Geswall will not work with PFW? And is there something that I have to configure in either or both of them to work together. My system is XP Pro SP3 and you can tell what I have running or installed from my signature. Thanks in advance.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I use DefenseWall with Private Firewall and have never had a problem with the Internet. When I was using GesWall I used Online Armor and never had a problem. Did you set Private Firewall to "allow traffic" for GeSWall? If not it may be worthwhile to try that.

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Yes, but it's a bit inconvenient to manually disable/re-enable the main network adapters each shutdown/restart, plus I might even forget on occasion. I was looking for something that would automate the task, or load before anything else and act as a 'block everything' type firewall service during startups and shutdowns.

5. lws

lws Registered Member

Finally,after the latest PFW update 7.0.23.4, Geswall seems to work with PFW. This is the combo that I wanted after trying out the above mentioned firewalls. Happy as a clam now that PFW and Geswall are working smoothly together. >:D

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.24.4, posted 5/17/2011
    - Added IPv6 packet filtering and tunneling support.
    - Expanded anti-logger protection including clipboard and screenshot logging detection, driver load attempt detection and enhanced code injection monitoring.
    - Improved leak, general bypass, spying and termination defense performance.
    - updated drivers reviewed/signed by Microsoft Winqual.

7. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Just installed the latest version on my wife's laptop.

It's been a great program and looks to have been made even better with this latest update.

8. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Indeed it is a great program. :thumb:

9. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Does PFW still hang up full-screen applications due to its prompts being covered?

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The latest update is ... magnifico!!!

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I know they recommend to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one but I was curious if anyone has installed the new one over the old one and if so how did it go.

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

It's a very good news...but I'm curious if anything improved in the setting of rules for IE.

13. bellgamin

I installed over the old. No problems-to-date.

14. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I installed the new version on my testmule XP SP3 machine. After getting familiar with it, I am impressed with the usability of the program. However, on my machine, PFW slows my internet speed dramatically.

In my rural town, AT&T DSL is all that is offered. On the various speed test sites that I go to, my download speed with Windows XP firewall is always between 2.50-2.75 Mpbs, and my upload speed is .40-.48Mpbs. I like to check my speed at least once or twice per day, just for kicks.

With PFW installed and running, my speeds are now 1.71-1.78Mpbs & .31-.35Mpbs. As soon as I disable PFW, my speeds return to normal. I am behind a router firewall and the XP firewall is of course disabled........................... Just my observations.

15. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Same question here.

16. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Two gosh awful experiences! On this old Pent4, XP Home SP3 I exported my settings, uninstalled, installed the new v, imported the old settings and it didn't remember a dang thing. To make matters worse, some how Zemana reverted back to the old version that was just updated a few days ago. I thought I finally got things sorted out and tonight it went crazy. Sandboxie not closing after sessions, continually flagging Weather Pulse even though I continue to select Allow. I finally just recovered to last nights CTM snapshot. I think I'll just stay with the old version.
    So since exporting/importing didn't work on the DT, I just installed over the old v on the Vista laptop and much the same happened so I'm back to the old version there too!

17. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

ratchet,

I can't speak specifically to your situation but I do have an interesting anecdote.

While I had PF on my own XP Pro SP3 system, I had added Zemana (when they had the free license giveaway) for its anti-keylogger protection.

To avoid potential conflicts, I disabled the HIPS module within Zemana.

I then tested Zemana to see if it passed the various keylogger tests (its own amongst others) and it failed. (This with the HIPS in Zemana disabled.)

I can't specifically recall if I tested the setup with Zemana's HIPS enabled and PF's off but I "believe" I did this as well, with the same result. (Sorry I can't be more certain.)

The point being that I had a bad feeling about the way these two programs interacted with each other despite only one HIPS running at a time.

I subsequently removed Zemana and later on removed PF and reinstalled Online Armor (which has always been my choice except when some issues had temporarily arisen some months back).

Yesterday, on my wife's XP Pro SP3 laptop, there was absolutely no issue with the new version importing and retaining her settings. (I closed PF, uninstalled, rebooted and then installed the latest version.)

I have noticed no problems with her setup since installing yesterday morning. (She only runs MSE and Sandboxie along with PF in real-time.)

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  18. ratchet

I'm suspecting they may be sharing a dll file. The thing that made this frustrating was the fact that the Zemana update(s) don't seem to go real smoothly either, so on both PCs I had to do that again. So basically I agree with you! I'm also using Z since the give a way. It does so well in the MRG tests but I'm thinking of dumping it. My wife doesn't know how to open a browser, i.e. she just uses the Sandboxie icon (I occasionally browse out of the Sb), I'm behind a router firewall and surf safe so I'm sure I'd still be pretty safe.

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Sounds like our wives grew up on the same block. LOL!

All she knows is to use the Sandboxie icons on the desktop for both Firefox and Thunderbird. The rest she calls me into the other room to take care of for her. :thumb:

20. ratchet

Yep! We have an excuse though. We are old! lol

21. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Say guys, has anybody tried Microsoft's Security Essentials along side of Private Firewall? I may of missed it, this thread is a long one.. :blink:

Thanks....

Hogndog

22. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Thanks I may try that. I have problems with it not remembering things if I do it the way they recommend.

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Yes, on a couple of systems. They work just fine together. :thumb:

24. bellgamin

Please DON'T. After a few days, PFW began acting weird on my box. So I uninstalled & did a clean install. Now it's okay.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Going to try it out on vmware, and see for myself what all this enthusiasm is about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.