Private Firewall daily alert

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tempfile, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempfile

tempfile Registered Member

I get this alert every day when I boot the PC

Capture.PNG

The only time I see it is after a cold boot when the PC has been off for hours. This is what the help file says about the alert:

There are usually one of 3 scenarios when this alert is displayed:
    1) The application has been updated or upgraded: This is normal for many applications that have frequent update/upgrades. If this is the case, select the 'Keep settings' button.
    2) The application has been deleted: This is normal activity as many applications are frequently added and deleted. If this is the case, select the 'Delete settings' button.
    3) The application is being substituted by a hacker/intruder by using the name of the trusted application in order to gain unauthorized access. This is commonly referred to as a Trojan Horse. The hacker creates a malicious program that is designed to either cause damage or extract valuable information and assigns a common name to the program (ex: Internet Explorer is usually named iexplore.exe). The hacker then attempts to place this program into the directory where the common application is usually placed (ex: c:\program files\microsoft office). If the hacker is successful, the malicious application will be launched the next time Internet Explorer, or iexplore.exe, is attempted to be accessed. If Privatefirewall is installed, the Program Change Alert will be displayed and the 'Deny Access' button should be selected so the issue can be investigated and resolved.

I don't believe any of those scenarios apply in this case and I would like to find a way to stop this from popping up every time I boot the pc. The program is not malware, just a game, I have other games on the PC but only get the alert for this one.

2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Maybe you can try to uninstall the game, clean junk files and registry, reboot and re-install your game.

Rules.

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Maybe because of this?...
    http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X3016730258568279267-X1/SUPERCOW.EXE.html
    Maybe something is still changed in this game?

4. tempfile

tempfile Registered Member

Hello ichito and rules

I appreciate your suggestions, but why is this only happening after a cold boot?

1. When the PC is running I never see the alert except after a cold boot.

2. I never see the alert when I reboot the running PC.

3. It appears immediately after a cold boot when the PC has been off for several hours.

This appears to me to be a bug in Private Firewall.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@tempfile
    You are right...I have no more idea o_O
    But you can always send info to PWF support...they are working well.

6. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Moo

:) lol

Seriously though, I had a very similar issue with it on an XP machine I do not think was infected? It happened on startup like that and I could not get rid of it. I can't remember what the file was that it seemed to think had changed, but I do remember it was either an essential file, or something I used all the time? Do you play a lot of Supercow?

7. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Can someone compare this fw to Comodo fw ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.