Privacy tab Sites list

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Welshjim, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshjim

Welshjim Registered Member

I did a Search through older posts, but could not find this.
    In IE6 and 7, IE Tools|Internet Options has a Privacy tab. When I click Sites, there is a list of sites already in place. It has entries such as
    100hot.com
    247media.com
    247realmedia.com
    2o7.net
    7adpower.com
    7search.com
    8ad.com etc.
    I know these sites are in the Registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

Where did this list come from?
    Various references suggest it comes from SpyWareBlaster, but I can find no reference to populating the Privacy Sites (note--I am not talking about Restricted Sites) by using SWB, including in the SWB Help file.

2. Peeved McAfee User

Peeved McAfee User Registered Member

Welshjim:

When you go into Windows Internet Explorer "Per Site Privacy Actions" it says:

How go into SpywareBlaster and click the "Internet Explorer" tab. Scroll down the list until you see "Cookie" in the "Type" column. Do the two lists coincide with one other?

SpywareBlaster adds entries to block cookies as well as entries to block ActiveX processes and also places sites in the restricted zone.

From SpywareBlasters Help facility under "SpywareBlaster Features" > "Protection" > "Internet Explorer Protection":

3. Welshjim

Welshjim Registered Member

Peeved McAfee User--Thanks for the kind reply.
    Based mainly on what you have said, I think I now understand:
    1) The Privacy tab Sites list is at least in part created by the last group of Cookie blockers (as opposed to ActiveX blockers) on SWB's Internet Explorer window. (I say in part, since I can add or subtract URL's on the list.)
    2) The Restricted Sites list (although it does act to block cookies) does not apply to the Internet Zone. The Privacy Sites list does. So the Privacy Sites list is what is really blocking individual cookies when using the Internet Zone. However, I am not sure whether the Privacy Sites list is still active when I click Privacy Tab|Advanced and specify which cookies (first/third party in general) I want blocked. I suspect the Privacy Sites list is not active if the "Override..." box is checked. Does that mean it is better to not check that box?

Odd that SWB never does use the word Privacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.