Privacy expert suite 8

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by zebis, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Privacy expert suite 8 crashes computer using pc-cillin 2005 internet security

I recently purchased Privacy expert suite 8 within the last few days. I have used the 2003 and 2004 versions and loved them.

After installing privacy expert suite 8 everything was great, love the new look and features.

I also have Trend Micro Pc-Cillin 2005 Internet security running and have used this package in the past ( love it).

This is what is happening with Privacy expert suite 8 installed. I click on the network security tab and then the personal firewall tab which takes me to the direct connect option( because i'm on high speed internet ). I can view my outbound connections. Upon leaving this area Pc-cillin thinks you made changes to the firewall and wants you to click the APPLY tab. Upon doing this the computer immediately shuts off and reboots o_Oo_Oo_O what the heck is this. IT does not shutdown properly and should not shutdown at all after doing this above mentioned. IT shutsoff ( Black screen and post )o_Oo_O

I uninstalled privacy expert suite 8 and went back into the firewall settings and was able to click on apply with NO problems.ran great like it should.

I reinstalled privacy expert suite 8 and the same problem occurs. This is attempt number 6 now, with the same results. This is very odd and Privacy expert should have no business or playing with or preventing one from making changes to another manufacturers product.

the only thing that i did notice was the new " paamsvr.exe" running in task manager. Upon doing some research into this found out that it was privacy expert suite 8's " pc service moniter" or something to that affect. it's a new service.

anyways, i'm wondering if others have had the same problem running Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2005 internet security.

any suggestions on why this is happening. i would love to keep using both seeing as how i've paid for them.

Please reply,
    P.S i have sent the report.zip to acronis support and i am still waiting for a response!!!.

if i had known that from what i have read in posting after mine that privacy expert suite 8 still has bugs that acronis is working on, I would not have purchased this product, i should have stayed with suite 7 that did not shut off my system. so much for the 1 year support and upgrades if i cant use the product. for now it is uninstalled and will not install it again until this problem is fixed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  2. Baudecb1

Baudecb1 Guest

Just "upgraded" from 7.0 to 8.0, and it deleted all my saved cookies!

I notice that each time it is run, it defaults to deleted ALL cookies, then ask in a separate window which cookies to delete.... each time.

This was not the case with previous versions - I could keep "ad infinitum" "key" cookies used in my work. Also, the column sort feature is gone, there is no sort, and all the cookies listed are in no logical order.

What give? Am I confused?

-= Chris ß =-

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Zebis, you could try disabling the Acronis Spyware Shield and see if that makes any difference. You will see it running in the task bar. I know you will probably want to have the guard running but if that helps in the short term until Acronis sorts out your problem then maybe it will enable you to continue running the rest of Privacy Expert Suite 8. This is a new product and I think there are bound to be some bugs that we (the end user) will find. Let's hope that Acronis quickly fix them for us.

4. zebis

zebis Registered Member

i have disabled both the spyware shield and the popup blocker as well as leaving the install as is, without configuring privacy expert suite 8 ( barebone) and rebooted. Still has the same problem. no matter what i do, i still can't view, edit let alone remove any of my outgoing connections.

It is almost like turning the power button off on the powersupply and shutting down the computer instantly while in windows. .... NOT good!!!!!
    thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

If you open Privacy Expert and look at the 'settings' menu , subitem 'options' there is a checkbox to enable 'Explorer Enhancements'. This is enabled by default so it may be worth unchecking the box, re-booting your PC and see if that makes any difference. Failing that I have no other ideas that spring to mind other than waiting for Acronis to look into it for you.

Always happy to help.

6. zebis

zebis Registered Member

I tried disabling explorer enhancements like you suggested, still the same problem occurs. i've uninstalled it again and i am going to leave it uninstalled for fear of damaging my hard drive further. I can't keep doing this to my hard drive. really not good to have it shutoff like that, 25 times now. eeeeekkk!!!

Thanks for your suggestions, glad to see someone who wants to help, since i'm not getting any response as of yet from acronis.

Cheers,

james

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

8. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Dear Ilya Toytman,

Just to let you know i sent another e-mail with the stated problem to the acronis support team. there is also another report.zip file attached to the e-mail.
    case # 205158
    Thank you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated.

I hope to have an explanation soon. I can't use privacy expert suite 8 if this problem persists. It is uninstalled at the moment until this is rectafied.

thanks again

Sincerely

James O'Connell

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi disabled, and welcome to the forum.

Since your problem is unrelated to this thread, I have split it off into a new thread of it's own.

You can find your thread here: Privacy expert suite 8 - Reg key problem

Regards,

snap

10. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Dear Ilya,

I got your e-mail. i have alredy tried what you said to do. I have uninstalled pc-cillin and reinstalled it with the same problem. I have done it both ways. Install pricavy expert suite 8 and then pc-cillin 2005 and vice versa. still the same problem. I have also wiped out and reinstalled the whole system which took me all day but still the same problem. Like i said before, when privacy expert suite 8 is installed the problem occurs. when it is NOT installed the problem goes away.

I really don't know what the problem is, and i 've tried everything under the sun.
    Still have no luck with this. ODD?. I have never had a problem with your products before that i could not figure out on my own. This eludes me totally.

Once again the case number is # 205158.

Thanks Ilya, Hope to here from you soon

Sincerely,

James O'Connell ( ZEBIS ).

11. Acronis Support

Hello James,

Ivan will take care of the problem. He has already got your reply and will answer to you soon.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Acronis Support Team.

--
    Ilya Toytman

12. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Dear Ilya,

Thanks for your support. I don't no what else i can tell you about the problem.
    Short of taking a home movie and e-mailing it to you.

I really want to use your products and still have no problems recommending your products to other people. Hope this gets fixed soon. I miss the the suite.hehehe

Take care Ilya, Hope to hear from Ivan soon.

thanks again,

James O'Connell ( ZEBIS ) a devoted acronis user.

13. Acronis Support

Hello James,

You will hear from Ivan soon. I don't think you will have to send a movie. Probably we will ask you for some special diagnostics with tools we will provide you.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. hoser_d

hoser_d Registered Member

Re: Privacy expert suite 8 crashes computer using pc-cillin 2005 internet security

Well I thought about getting PE8, but I also have PC-Cillin 2005 and I don't want any problems so I guess I'll skip Privacy Expert 8.

15. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Still waiting for a reply.

HoHumm!!!

Sigh!!

16. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

There is a new build (710) but it's not on the 'updates' page yet. The original build is 707 if I remember correctly. Acronis can give you a link so you can download it and see if that makes any difference. I have the link but I don't know if Acronis would like me posting it here.

17. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, pjb024

Please do not Post it, PM or Email it to anybody.

I would like to have it :'( , but it is your and yours only.

Take Care,
    theQuest :cool:

18. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi TheQuest

Thanks for the lesson in morality but you need not worry. Even though the product needs a valid licence key I would not post the link to a download here or via any other means. I agree that we have to adhere to the correct channels and if Acronis want to pass the link to anyone then they will.

I hope it is warmer in Kent than it is here in Yorkshire.

Take care

19. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, pjb024

No lesson, just caution. :D

Looking at the weather map it it very little difference an the moment, but is colder up there where you are as a rule.

Take Care, [stay warm :D ]
    TheQuest :cool:

20. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

And the message that support sent me said to go to that page to download it!
    "Hello Jeff,

Thank you for using Acronis Privacy Expert Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/privacyexpert/).

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest (710) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/.

To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/.

Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem still remains, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Sincerely yours,
    Maria Zharova"

So I wrote back asking for the link. So does autoupdate work in the 710 build now?

21. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

Well PES 8 just updated definitions now and using build 707 with Maxthon browser.

The server must be online now - JMHO.

22. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Yes the Spyware definitions update feature does work now.

23. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Dear Ilya toytman,

I just noticed that privacy expert suite 8 has a new build 711. will this fix my crash problem with Trend micro internet security 2005.

I'm still waitng for a response from ivan who sent my dump file to the developers. I have not heard anything for 2-3 days. just wondering if i should try the new build 711.
    I cant seem to find any info on what was updated in the new 711 build.

thanks,

james o'connell

24. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

When you sign in to access the download you will see a list of what each build is fixing.

25. zebis

zebis Registered Member

well now i know what the fixes are,....
    Gui
    spyware database
    cookie cleaner

HMMMMM!!!!

Still doesn't solve my problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.