Privacy Cleaner?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ErikAlbert, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I then re-started the computer and ran IdS and got the results shown in this screenshot.

I did nothing other than run CDS (with nothing else running), screenshot the results, re-started, ran IdS and screenshotted that. Pete

Attached Files:

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

This is how I had CDS set

Attached Files:

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And this is the version info on the CDS I'm using.

Attached Files:

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You can't encrypt the OS with Truecrypt. In fact, there is no open-source product that performs whole-disk encryption. Truecrypt is a great program, but it is strictly volume, device and partition encryption. If you want whole-disk encryption and don't care if it's not open-source, try MySecureDoc which is the new consumer line of whole-disk encryption products from WinMagic. It's better than PGP's whole-disk solution and I wouldn't buy a stick from SecurStar which makes DriveCrypt Plus Pack.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Who are you looking for privacy from, Erik? (people in the household, remote attackers, physical theft, etc?) Answering that question is vital to finding the right solution for you.. and no, I'm not asking to tear you down or anything.

Peter's remark should be considered, however. If you lose the key or something, your data will be gone because it takes more than just a password to decrypt. Encryption is something you'll want to really get to know before you go encrypting all of your data. That isn't to say you shouldn't; just don't rush into it, and keep some unencrypted backups of your data on CD or DVD (I have no idea why you think they're unreliable, just verify the burn and you'll be fine. I've not had a single problem in years since I learned to verify every burn).

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Spy1

It appears that your index.dat entries for the original locations have been cleaned. I think the problem is that you havn't included those extra locations in the CDS config setup. I'm not sure whether you can have multiple locations, i've never had to try it. Can you just live with having the original locations, or is this an OS specific thing ? I'm on 98se by the way !

My version is 7.35 listed as 7.0.1.2 in the right click properties box !

I've seen some temp files that appear to be locked, such as those for some of my security apps and firewall etc. But i minimise these now by first physically disconnecting from the internet, so i can shutdown my FW and all other running tasks and apps, and i can then delete the logs etc. All other temp files that appeared to be locked are gone on reboot.

I alternate between 7 and 35 passes for all my cleaning, except for the swap file and free space clean which i use less often.

StevieO

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning it, I will read about it, I stored the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.