Privacy Appliance

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DrMike, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrMike

DrMike Registered Member

Hello all,

Is anyone familiar with a hardware appliance (as opposed to software) that provides anonymity? I used to use the iphantom (which was great) and then the Witopia cloakbox which I was not crazy about. I'm looking for something that is plug and play. I realize that it may not provide the ultimate anonymity, but it is will be one layer of several.

Thanks in advance.

2. x942

x942 Guest

I would stay tuned. I am launching a product in the coming weeks that will do exactly this. It's open-source as well and using well known technologies. Planned launch data is August 9th. if you want to PM me I can put you on the wait-list for the announcement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

May I remind you tha this is a discussion forum, not a platform for creating hypes?

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Do you have a website so I can check back to see what your product is that you lunch?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think it's possible with custom firmware on your router or a spare machine as a gateway (usually UTM). Examples (6.5/6.6). Sorry, networking isn't something I'm experienced with, so I can't provide more details.

6. x942

x942 Guest

Sorry but I was answering his/her question. The entire thing is going to be nearly Free if you want to build your own. It's basically open-hardware and open-software. The only reason I mention it is because most of these "privacy appliances" are proprietary by nature. They could be backdoored for all we know. I am trying to build something that is open and happens to be what the OP is looking for.

If any mod thinks it was wrong to post that and is against form rules/policies they can feel free to remove it and accept my apologies for it.

it will be on -www.shadowdcatconsulting.com- once launched. With full instructions on how to build your own as well and full source-code available.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Cool! :)

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Very cool :D

10. caspian

caspian Registered Member

PLease let me know. I use to have an Iphantom too and it was so cool! And I could fire up a VPN and run it through the Iphantom. I loved it. So let me know as soon as you get the ball rolling.

11. x942

x942 Guest

Will do! We are just getting some stuff finalized. We have it running on some prefabbed boards but we may switch out to custom hardware. I have a prototype running on custom ARM board but I am unsure if this will be cost effective or not. We want this to be affordable.

Main difference is the ARM board will obviously have better specs than the prefabbed board which runs MIPS and only has 32MB total memory. The custom board has up to 8GB depending on cost again. More storage gives us more play. It works fine on 32MB but not as much room for play if we do a major update down the road.

EDIT:

If we use custom boards we will post the PCB cad files so others can build their own/review them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  12. DrMike

DrMike Registered Member

Any update with this?

13. x942

x942 Guest

It's going up today. We hit some delays with shooting the video ad and with production. Will post a link once up.

14. x942

x942 Guest

15. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thank you.

Keep up the good work. I am definitely interested.

The 'Source Code' link on your web page is bad: -https://github.com/x942/anonobot

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  16. x942

x942 Guest

Source aren't up. That's just a place holder. We are waiting for funding - on indiegogo. The funding campaign (which is basically preorder) will be live hopefully tonight or tomorrow. We keep getting hit with delays because my ISP is throttling my up speed :(

17. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thank you.

18. x942

x942 Guest

It's live now:

-http://igg.me/at/anonobot/x/995148-

We already have it ready - the campaign is basically preording so we know how many units get manufactured. We are posting the video tomorrow as we are still suffering internet issues here. (Thunderstorm knocked out the power).

19. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I hate to play devils advocate here. Your website is very simple and you just posted a link asking for $150K of donations. I'm not saying its a scam, but you kinda display it as such. You have nothing but text to convince us of you authenticity. I could write the same text on a new website in under and hour and set up an Indiegogo account. I am just saying, show something before asking for money.

20. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

He has easily 150 USD credibility :thumb:

21. Taliscicero

It's 150 USD? Indigogo makes it look like £150K USD. $150USD is such a small amount what could someone even do with that to start up a company. I am very confused.

22. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A thought for later on, after you get better established. How about a version in the form of a PCI card, one that could replace the red network card on Smoothwall and other hardware firewalls?

23. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

It's $150k. But, there's a C in front of the dollar sign. Is it Canadian Dollars?

24. x942

x942 Guest

By all means, I fully understand where you are coming from, our video is uploading and will address these concerns :) The website isn't new and we are a licenced business. Also have several other products (Guardian Rom) and SecDroid. That should help as far as it being a scam. Video will show off more of our prototype and details.

We will definately look into this. Would be a nice addition.

Yes, $150k Canadian is the goal. Manufacturing is expensive. Like I said these are preorders, we just don't want to manufacture if there is no demand for it. For the campaign the unit is discounted to $99 after that it will be $149.99

25. Taliscicero

$99 forever or will there be a subscription fee? It will use your own VPN servers, or can you use any OpenVPN subscription. I can use it with a wireless laptop? Is it possible to enable it for one or more computers and to leave one or two other computers out of being VPN'd or do they all require to use the device to be connected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.