Privacy and Politics in the Mobile Age

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by JRViejo, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

GFI Labs Blog.

NOTE: This is vital privacy information for those who may be using these Apps. If the conversation strays into Politics, this thread will be closed.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

When I look at this, I can't help but wonder what other purposes these apps serve/will serve.
    I don't own or use one of these phones and don't know what phone apps can and can't do, but if the phones allow apps like these to auto-update, I'd be very concerned about what the next versions might do.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Unbelievable. Don't forget to roll into the equation that political uses of information aren't as tightly regulated as commercial uses for example.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Is political uses any different than or separate from government/official uses, or business/corporate uses? Where does one end and the other begin? With surveillance, "national security" and other sensitive issues, many of which have been privatized, there's little if any separation between them. IMO, this looks like another extension of surveillance in general, with some nasty additions for potential monitoring the behavior of those "loyal" to a party. While the potential for misuse with these apps is bad enough, it's the next ones I'd be worried about. Things like this make me glad I that I never bought one of those phones.

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Sometimes words provide for favorable distinctions and rights of action. Sometimes words don't matter. That's a sound observation you've made. You might as well add personal uses to that list as well though. Its a generic problem :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.