Printer Sharing????

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by CDreier, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDreier

CDreier Registered Member

I can't get my wireless networked notebook computer to print, although everything is set up correctly (drivers installed, printer names match, and print sharing is enabled on the desktop computer). I must stay this worked in the past. ESS is on both computers and in setup "Allow file and printer sharing in the Trusted Zone" is checked on both computers. After much anguish, I believe this MUST be related to ESS' firewall. Is there anyone here with knowledge on how to remedy this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

3. CDreier

Should these changes be made on the desktop, or on the notebook? I'm assuming the desktop, but what about the IP address?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

On both , they will share data , so - on both

5. CDreier

I went to make the changes, and saw they are so "massive" that I've decided not to do that. The reasons are twofold. 1) I'm not a computer 'guru' and would be making changes that I don't fully understand, but suspect would be watering down the protection, and 2) it occurs to me that a customer shouldn't have to make significant changes to make something as mainstream as "printer sharing" work. I'm not exactly sure what my next move is, but being as big of a believer and supporter of ESET as I am, I'm quite disappointed that this would even be an issue in any of their products. Thoughts?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am sorry Automatic mode doesn't work for you . The so called "changes" are nothing special . We turn the firewall to Interactive mode (you can learn more about it in the Help file) , then create a simple rule on both computers which will allow all the traffic for and from the other computer.

Since both computers are protected from threats by ESS , this poses no risk to your security . We will allow not only file/printer sharing service but all the traffic/services .

In the threat I gave you a link to I have also explained that should you prefer not to allow all the traffic , you could enter specific ports to be open which manage file/printer sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.