Printer Sharing?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would like to be able to print out documents from my laptop using wireless.

Of course, my printer is connected to my desktop.
    I am using DSL, have WXP Home SP2, LnS firewall, and currently trying NOD.

When I tried the set up wizard on the control panel, it said that if I did this on the internet others might use my printer or some such notice.

How should I set up my system so that I can use my printer with my laptop, Toshiba WXP Home SP2? Or is this a security problem?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

How about a router (seeing as you have desktop and laptop), that has a printer port. That way you can connect your printer to the router, and then either pc can use the printer.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do not have the router located where it would be convenient to hardwire it. I would much prefer to use wireless.

I was recently told that even though my DSL is always on the net, unless I have a browser up or email or something like that there is no danger in anyone getting into my system. I have a firewall, LnS and AV. The AV does update regularly, and that may be why the wizard thought I was no the internet.
    Am I on the internet even though I am not using a browser or email?

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

Put it this way, I have a cable con, into the modem then into a D-Link router. My desktop pc is hardwired off this and I also have 2 laptops wirelessly connected to the router. All have permanent net access, and all have permanent use of an Epsom printer that is connected to the router owns printer port as it has its own print server built in.
    My printer has never been used by anyone other than my house. All 3 machines here have either Netveda or Comodo firewall, Nod32, Processguard and the Ghost Security suit. The router also has its own firewall built in.

HTH.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are behind a wireless router (configured securely of course ;) ), all you should have to do is configure file/printer sharing on the desktop and laptop. Share the printer on the desktop, configure any software firewalls to permit this traffic for the LAN subnet and you should be good to go. These shares will not be visible to the Internet.

If your ADSL is always on via the router your systems, while on, will have access to the LAN and the Internet. This would require an active application to make a connection or be listening for one. The router will protect the LAN systems from unsolicited inbound traffic from the Internet.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thank you both very much. I now have it set up to share the printer.
    I think it also shares file, but do not know exactly how to send a file, or a document to the other computer. I am not sure I really need to.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.