printer question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi everyone
    I got a new printer because my old one kept coming on (all the buttons)fax,copy,print and scan.then the only way I could turn it off was unplug it.this went on for awhile and finally it wouldnt print anymore,so I get one exactly like it,and it was fine for about 2 weeks and I come home today and everything is all lit up,same old problem as with the other one so I'm figuring it will also quit printing in awhile.(a week or so)like the other one.I had only had the other machine for about a month.Every printer I get couldnt have a defect could it?anyone know what could be causing this?--thanks
    Rita

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Rita. :)

It would be helpful if u could give us the make of your printer.

snowbound

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Snowbound
    It's a lexmark X4270 all in one

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita

That is a combination fax/phone/printer, right?
    Is it set to start up on a telephone ring somehow?
    Are there any directions on how to disable a feature like that?
    Maybe the software you added to your computer has a setting you could change.
    You could try unplugging the telephone line to the printer while you are away and see if it starts.
    Or just unplug your printer from your computer while you are away and see if it starts.

If it doesn't start while unplugged from the phone line, there is a setting somewhere to cure that problem.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Ron
    I had the phone line plugged in but unhooked it last week because it was messing up the phone and that cured that problem but it hadnt come on (all buttons )till today.I have it plugged into the surge protector with the computer.do you think putting it on a surge protector by itself would help?although I dont think that would help would it?If I unplug it from the computer while I'm gone I'd have to reinstall it every day-a pain in the butt :D It wont go off by pushing the power button but when I unplugged it and plugged it back it's ok but with the other one that worked for awhile but then it just quit printing after awhile and I got the error message printer not communicating with computer.I'm afraid thats what will happen soon--maybe I should get another kind of printer but still cant see where every one would be defective.I like it if only it would work right.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita

I tried to take a look at the manual. It is not available on their site.

I suppose the phone line goes to the fax/printer and then to the computer.

I would try unplugging the phone line from the wall while you are away.
    You shouldn't have to reinstall anything that way.

You do turn your computer off while away right?

For instance, when I was on dialup, I would find my computer on and running because a setting in the bios, wake up on ring, was set to true.
    I disabled that function and the problem went away.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thank you Ron
    I will do that tommorrow.I turn the computer off while away,so I'll unplug the phone line too.Let you know tommorrow if that helps
    Rita

8. the lexmark printer.......for shame lexmark.....for shame......

check add/remove for an extra lexmark listing that is not your model.........

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you got one exactly like the old one,it could have a defect in that model. a different model might not have that defect.

bigc

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

for shame For sure :D
    no listing except the one I have--thanks snowmanguy
    Rita

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Bigc
    that may be it-but seems kind of strange--but if I have to take it back I'll get another model--thanks for replying
    Rita

12. The printer is not in your Start-Up is it ? There is no need for the printer for it to be there...it will start when you are ready to use it.....

check to see if the "electronic registration" for the printer is in your start -up as well...if so....un-check it........Ron and BigC can instruct..if they would be willing........luck to you.

13. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi the Snowman guy
    Yes,I do have it in startup just because thats where it installed itself.I will disable it from startup and see if that helps,also unplugged the phone line as Ron said and it didnt come on today but again it didnt come on every day--just some days.Thanks for your suggestions,appreciate it
    Rita

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Ron
    I unplugged the phone line today and it didnt come on but of course it didnt come on every day either--anyway I'll continue to unplug it every day and see--thanks
    Rita

15. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Rita,

Iceni60 had a related issue with Lexmark Printers here.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita,

You may want to call Lexmark about the problem since it is brand new.
    They may have knowledge of the problem.

Call us at 1-800-332-4120
    Monday through Friday
    9:00AM - 9:00PM ET
    Saturday
    12:00PM - 6:00PM ET

17. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco
    will check it out- thanks
    Rita

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Ron
    thanks for the number.gonna go call now--will post back soon as i talk to them
    Rita

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Ron
    just got off the phone with them.They didnt know of anything that would do it but said they'd look into it and be in touch with me by phone or email within 24 hours--so guess I'll just have to wait.again thanks for number
    Rita

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If they give you any trouble Rita, tell them twenty thousand people have a need to know. :D

21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

:D will do!

22. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This is just a comment from out in left field but if there is a possible connection between the phone line being connected and the mystery problem, then my next question would be do you have DSL, and if so do you have DSL filters on all of the lines? If the printer has an electronic manual maybe you could do a search and see if DSL is mentioned.

-HandsOff

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi HandsOff
    no,unfortunatly I'm on dialup.I've unhooked the phone from the printer to see if that helps.hoping it will because I rarely use the fax-thanks for replying
    Rita

24. Lexmark will totally denie that there is a problem. However, its proven.

The electronic registration will actually dis-connect the dial-up connection.....I've no idea how that works with dsl or cable.....since dsl is also "phone line" related.....that should be looked into.....

just make sure to un-plug the phone line when about to use the printer..........an..if you can return it for another brand of printer that you may want to seriously consider.
    This is a well known lexmark issue........in my area the local "donation" stores such as salvation army etc..are packed with lexmark printers...some near-new........they sell between $5 and $20..........

25. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi snowman guy
    I should have got another kind I guess when I took the first one back but I thought maybe it was just a defect in the first one,but it's the same with this one.i started to get a HP and guess I should have but I liked the one i had--had it worked right.If i end up taking this one back,I'll not get the same kind-no use to.I'm leaving the phone line disconnected,will only plug it in if I need the fax.--thank you for reply
    Rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.