Primary HDD with OS not an option to Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbol, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbol

dbol Registered Member

I'm aiming to backup my primary hdd, which has 2 separate partitions, each about 14GB... One partition (the OS partition) to a 250GB hdd, and the other partition to a RAID1 array of 160GB drives...

For some reason though, my primary hdd is NOT listed as a source drive (old hard drive) to clone from. Rather, the new empty hard drive is a source drive. Am I not allowed to clone the primary hard drive? Is my only option to remove this drive and place it on another computer as a slave?

BTW... this is Windows 2003 Server

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbol,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image doesn't allow to clone the individual partitions. Clone Disk option allows you to transfer the entire contents of one disk drive to another.

So you need to use Backup option to perform your goals.

Please remember that in order to migrate your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep)http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#30

I would also like to mention that even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep) we cannot guarantee the success l transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

MInd you , there's something like a ten-fold increase in price going to the server edition, so it might not be worthwhile for only a few machines.;)

4. dbol

dbol Registered Member

I am using Server btw...

So, am I creating an image using the 'Backup' feature of True Image, and then using Universal Restore to expand that image file to the hard drive?

Also, I read the instructions of Universal Restore, and it says to create a bootable disc using one of the options...
    I see however, several options that make mention of Universal Restore:

One falls under the headline: Acronis True Image Enterprise Server and reads:
    Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore (Full/Safe Versions)

The other falls under the headline: Acronis Bootable Agent with Acronis Universal Restore

Which of these two choices do you suggest I choose, if any?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

[emphasis mine]dbol, if you actually did mean your OLD HARD DRIVE was not listed as a source, then you do have a problem which it looks like Acronis Support didn't address because they appear to have reinterpreted your problem statement as being that you want to clone only a partition and not your OLD HARD DRIVE.

However, I do agree with their suggestion, in any event, that a backup and restore would be a more appropriate means of accomplishing what you want.

The only thing is that you may want to be prepared how to handle restore of the MBR to the new drive. As I don't have any experience with the Server version or Universal Restore (that I know of), I'll have to leave that question hanging as just a heads up.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbol,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are correct.

Actually, you can include all components to the bootable recue media. However, as you are interested in restoration of your Windows server, not the remote computer, we recommend you to use Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore (Fill version) option to restore the image.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server and Acronis Universal Restore in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.