Prevx's Green Tab(with a Padlock) Protects you even if you are infected?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by RCGuy, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

In a post in another thread, I had mentioned how:

Also, I have Prevx SafeOnline, and in reading the information about their Browser Tabs at their site...regarding their tab that is Green with a Padlock, their site says:

Also, I once read somewhere that Prevx's 'Green tab'(with a padlock) sites are still protected, even if you are infected. Therefore, what I would like to know is: Does the 'Green tab with a padlock' protect you from any type of infection...including a trojan?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

The padlock is not protecting you from infections per se but from the most common methods used by the infections to leak information out (keylogging and screenshots of your https sessions). The protection is not malware specific but applicable to any malware targeting logging.

3. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

So...does that mean that if malware or trojan horses are not using the most common methods to leak information out, then the Green tab with a padlock isn't necessarily protecting your https log-in sessions...and therefore, that familiar phrases that I had mentioned before: "that even if you are infected, Prevx's 'Green tab'(with a padlock) sites are still protected,"...isn't necessarily true 100% of the time? o_O

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry no one can ensure you that things are 100%, This is valid for Prevx, WSA or any other security tool. The 100% can only apply if you don't get infected in the first place ;)

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

So what's a person who had an attempted trojan attack suppose to do? o_O

6. fax

fax Registered Member

You will need to take all the necessary steps to protect your confidential data. Change passwords, check your bank accounts and Credit Cards for uncommon tranfers, etc...

For doing the above in a more targeted way you will need to assess or try to appraise the amount of data that could have been compromised. Its a forensic exercise on what you did while the trojan was active in the system and the protection you have in place for dealing with these problems.

Most probably nothing nothing has happen to your data due to your multilayer security approach (sandbox, AV, Prevx) but you had an infiltration (as far I could understand), this means you are not 100% sure that nothing has happen. At the same time don't panic, don't get paranoid. There is nothing worst than starting piling up security tools one over the other to feel more secure ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks for the info, fax.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What are you concerned may have happened? You can call your bank and credit card company to see if there's been any activity not initiated by you. To protect my bank accounts I have immediate email notification enabled - my bank notifies me via email of every transaction that occurs so I know very quickly if there has been activity that I did not initiate. You could change the passwords on all websites you consider critical and find out if any offer two-factor authentication.

If SSL was enabled on critical sites while the machine was infected it's highly unlikely that the sessions were compromised but I would still check.

9. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

For what it's worth, SSL won't defend against threats like Zeus/Spyeye/other banking trojans which inject themselves into the browser. WSA's Identity Shield and SafeOnline have been designed to specifically protect against these types of threats.

10. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Actually, I haven't been to any critical sites every since Avast alerted me about, and intercepted a trojan...right after I created a limited account. Which makes it looks like the attack was specifically aiming to compromise my limited account. Even though there's not much that an infection can do in a limited account. Or am I wrong about that?

However, I think that my ulitmate plan is to eventually D-ban the hard drive, reinstall the OS with the recovery disc that I have....and get a better firewall.

11. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

So are you saying that SafeOnline would still protect my computer from just about any type of infection that's out there?

12. PrevxHelp

Yes, exactly. And for non-identity-stealing threats, the rest of the antimalware engine steps in to block/remove them.

13. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Sorry about taking so long to get back to this thread, but thanks, PrevxHelp.

Also, PrevxHelp, I wanted to ask you that only with the paid version does the antimalware engine steps in to block/remove threats...right?

14. PrevxHelp

That's correct, although the trial version of Webroot SecureAnywhere will block/remove threats within your trial period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.