PrevX2 and WUAPI.DLL

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aieie, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Today i had the bad surprise to see PrevX2 asking me about c:\windows\system32\WUAPI.DLL since it was only recently seen by the community.

LOL

Since it's the usual WU api and i suppose tons of PC with Windows XP are running it (at least i hope they are) why this kind of prompt came out?

Thanks in advance

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Maybe you've updated recently.I also had warnings about legit processes when i first installed vista sp1.They ware fixed quickly.
    I agree that at least on system files there should not be FP's.

3. aieie

aieie Registered Member

The PC is up to date..................in the same state of every other XP SP3 that has auto-updates enabled.

Really don't think a file like that can be "new to the community"

4. PrevxMalwareHelp

PrevxMalwareHelp Registered Member

Hi there,

Can you send me the file so i can check it out. We have no record of WUAPI.DLL being flagged as malicious, and system files are indeed protected. Also, we have had no other reports of this, and If it was indeed widespread, we would of seen a massive uplift in support queries.

I've left you info on how to submit this to me via PM.

Thanks

5. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Sure, file sent.

Thanks a lot

6. PrevxMalwareHelp

PrevxMalwareHelp Registered Member

Thanks for sending the file. This file is totally unique to your machine, it’s never been seen before in the community, it appeared on your machine on the 2nd of November, which is rather suspect, as the other versions of this file have literally hundreds of thousands of agents that have seen it. I suspect this is why this has been brought to your attention, however I need to clarify that this file has been marked as "Good" in our database since November the 2nd @ 06:37 AM.

7. aieie

aieie Registered Member

The marked as "Good" is really a good thing to hear :)

Wonder why it can be different from the other Pc, though, since i always automatically install all the updates.

But this is not a question for you :)

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.