Prevx1 what happen after trial period elapses

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cool, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool

Cool Guest

Hi folks,

I am using Prevx Home yet but want to upgrade to Prevx1. Still undecided whether "R" (free beta) or public trial version that elapses after a limited period because for the time being I want to benefit free of charge using. So I am curious what happen after trial if I won't purchase it. Somewhere read that the Community and updates will be disabled but what does it mean exactly. Apart this will Prevx1 be functional in all modes (ABC, Pro and Expert)? Would be I allowed for main upgrades? Or should I rather take "R" even if it's a beta (I am a little bit scared for betas)?

Can any1 advise?

Thanks and regards,
    Cool

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

To my understanding, if the program doesn't stop working entirely it will at least stop alerting on anything. Either way, it won't do you any good to keep it after expiring. If you're not going to buy it, then using Prevx1 R would be your only other real option. I have never encountered any serious/critical issues using the beta, but it's always wise to do regular backups. Fact is that it's a good idea to be doing backups anyway, and especially before installing any software. Any software, beta or not, has the potential to cause problems.

3. Cool

Cool Guest

Thanks Notok, understood and almost decided for the "R". But what a kind of problems may I expect from the beta, could you be more precise, please? And do you imagine that the winXP in-built restoring feature is enough to overcome possible problems caused by the beta? Apologize for my silly questions but I am a plain PC user.

Thanks and regards,
    Cool

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehe, everyone starts somewhere :) I think the most I encountered with the Prevx1 beta was high CPU spikes.. this was easily remedied by turning Prevx1 off. I think everything else was pretty much all UI issues (unless I tried piling on some more software that tried to do the same thing, then I got a couple blue screens), nothing serious enough that I had to do a system restore or anything. With that said, though, always be prepared, it's just best practice. A system restore works, but if nothing else you can boot into safe mode and disable the drivers by renaming them from .sys to .old (pxfsf.sys, pxcom.sys, pxrtk.sys, pxemu.sys, and pxtdi.sys, all in c:\windows\system32\drivers\), and you can always contact support.

Normally I don't recommend betas to those that aren't serious about beta testing, but the Prevx1 beta has always been quite stable for me.. just be prepared for the worst, and don't go piling on a bunch of other HIPS type products, and you should be ok. :) The fact that they had 100k testers and something like 200 reports should say something.. they mentioned to me at one point that they try to avoid having to do support as much as they can by doing as much as possible before releasing to the public.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  5. Cool

Cool Guest

Notok, much appreciate your replies. The last question (I promise) - using following real-time security apps:
    SpywareBlaster, Winpatrol Plus, yet Prevx Home, ZA Pro, NOD32 and PG full. Shall I expect any of above to clash with Prevx1"R"? And is Prevx1 of any benefit to tighten my security or shall I leave it as is?

Thanks for your time and patience.
    Regards,
    Cool

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well of course you're going to want to remove Prevx Home, and I don't think you'd really be getting much out of WinPatrol that you wouldn't be getting from Prevx1 (although I don't know that it would conflict). The only thing that I could see that might possibly conflict is PG, but I've heard it both ways (that it works fine, and that it conflicts). Prevx1 does cover many of the same things as PG, though, so at the very least I would say to remove it first, give Prevx1 a try, then make a decision as to whether you want to try installing it again or not.

7. Cool

Cool Guest

Thanks, I learnt everything I wanted and conclusion is maybe surprising but I will retain Prevx Home yet for a while along with other stated apps.

Main reasons are:
    - unwilling to even temporarily leave PG full or other apps I am having
    - possible clash with PG
    - possible excessive CPU
    - unwilling to experiment with installation, de-installation, re-installation etc.
    - as regularly using a GPRS connection, which is not so quick to be honest, I would be afraid of another remarkable slow-down due to Prevx1"R" needs almost constant net communication
    - guessing the combo of apps I use almost, if not completely, matches Prevx1"R"

Anyway, Notok, many thanks for your very valuable comments.

Regards,
    Cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.