Prevx/WSA compatibility with sandboxers/virtualisers

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by TonyW, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Some of us may be aware that Sandboxie isn't fully compatible with Prevx/WSA, but a setting can be changed in Sandboxie to allow this. However, this lessens Sandboxie's effectiveness somewhat, but is manageable.

I was wondering if there are known incompatibilities with other sandboxing/virtualisation software, such as Defensewall, Bufferzone et al.

2. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I am using Shadow Defender alongside WRSA without any 'apparent' problems.
    During the Alpha and early beta testing there was a known problem but Joe seems to have solved it now. Also had problems with Returnil RVS 2011 but because of known problems with the present Returnil releases I am keeping away from it until the there is a problem free release.

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I thought Sandboxie only was incompatible with Prevx/WSA when it comes to the SafeOnline module. Am I right about this? Are there perhaps any other issues I've forgotten about? :)

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It is the SOL component where it isn't compatible with when the browser is sandboxed. This is why I'm wondering if similar issues exist with other sandboxing/virtualisation software.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Prevx SafeOnline (and WSA Identity Shield) is compatible with partition virtualization software such as Returnil and Shadow Defender. Partition virtualization works at the disk level below the file system so doesn't need to restrict what running processes are doing in the same way as an application sandbox.

Prevx SafeOnline (and WSA Identity Shield) is incompatible with an application sandbox such as Sandboxie because Sandboxie works at the file system level to prevent communication between the sandboxed application and processes running outside the sandbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.