Prevx vs Online Armor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mucker, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

I would be very interested in comments regarding similarities and differences between Prevx1 Beta and Online Armor.

Thanks for any replies.
    Mucker

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have been running both, have licensed copies of both. I am in the process of uninstalling Prevx1, as it just is too annoying. On the other hand I am quite pleased with Online Armor. Provides excellent protection, without excessive popups.

I understand the basis for the direction of Prevx1, but it justed annoyed me down. Specifically when you install something it can't authenticate it pops up and you not only have to allow it, but it insists on your providing a description of what you are installing. With some beta test where you install multiple times, it doesn't remember from time to time, and keeps asking and forces you to provide a description. They have gotten many single letter descriptions from me. I've had it.

Online Armor on the other hand has challenged but a simple click lets it go. So So much better.

Pete

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Very similar experience here to Peter's.

I only played with Prevx for a short time though i must admit, but it annoyed the heck outta me and sometimes just would not do what I wanted. But, that was a few months back, so cannot vouch for any new releases.

Now, as for OA, I did have some issues [not major], but it was Beta, and they were QUICKLY resolved by Mike Nash and team at TallEmu. ;)

With OA now, I have to "go looking" just to see if it's still 'working' [whose paranoid] at various sites, to see a pop-up. Funningly enough, if you go to a lot of newsmedia sites, that's where I get the most pop-ups, [ActiveX]

Just my opinion, and I know there are a lot of Prevx users who are happy, just not for me. Bit like one's choice of AV, what works for you is the best. :cool:

Cheers, TAS

4. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

Thank You Peter and Tassie Devil for your replies--very helpful.
    Mucker

5. darksky

darksky Registered Member

There is a BIG difference between Prevx and Prevx1.. with Prevx1, you get virtually NO pop-ups and it is even more powerful than the PrevxPro.

Difference between Pvevx1 and Online Armor, is Prevx1 has a worldwide community database that gives a unique Community protection feature which allows Prevx1 to spot and prevent attacks by new malware very quickly.

Consider running both.

6. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

About 6 weeks back, I asked Prevx whether the old Prevx Pro structure was under the Prevx1 structure. It seems one of the current major differences between Prevx Pro and Prevx1 is that Prevx1 has a lot of the old Prevx Pro features currently in report mode, instead of block or ask user mode.

That's meant to change in time.

Both Prevx1 and OA track installations, and it 'looks' like Prevx1 can now remove installations, just like OA...however, with Prevx1 you only get this choice from things sent to the jail...from OA you can do it with any program that was installed after OA was installed.

Both have execution control.

OA has DNS poisoning protection, an email antispoofing filter, keylogger behavioural detection, website analysis for dangerous embedded objects (java, activex...not sure what else), and turns all persistent cookies to session cookies. Actually...here's their website address with the features http://www.tallemu.com/index.php?area=products&sub=features

I agree with Tass etc that Prevx1 is very annoying with it requiring you to enter a description everytime there's a popup. I also have to agree that while I really liked Prevx Pro, and thought Prevx1 was an advancement...I'm leaning more and more towards OA (will likely stick with Prevx1 until they are out of beta, see how the product turns out)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

At this point it is difficult to make a real comparison, because nobody really knows how the Prevx 1 beta will change as the beta goes on. It could be that they end up quite complimentary to eachother, or they could end up doing nearly the exact same thing, leaving the user to decide just by preference of the UI. Right now they are pretty much in parallel to eachother, but I'm withholding further personal judgment until everything gets sorted out.

I definitely agree, however, that having to put in descriptions of everything has gotten very annoying at times. Sometimes it's ok, if I have nothing better to do then I don't mind contributing to their database, but if I'm in the middle of something I don't like a pop-up derailing my train of thought. Prevx has a history of taking feedback seriously, however, so I would encourage everyone that has the beta to let them know your thoughts, if you haven't already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.