Prevx sneaks out via IE

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well tried to :eek:

I had my FW lock on to do an MBAM scan after updating it, & as PSOL likes/needs to check files being scanned by MBAM = Lots of internet activity, i Totally shutdown PSOL by the remove protection option. So far so good.

However, i cancelled the MBAM scan soon after i started it to do it later. What i discovered was on re-enabling PSOL, it wanted to do a full scan of my comp = fair enough. I chose to cancel it, for now, to save my precious bandwith costs.

But what happened next astonished me :eek: After the "Are you sure you want to cancel" etc alerts, to which i clicked YES, IE6 launched

ie-p.gif

Followed shortly afterwards by FF as well

ff-p.gif

As i had my FW lock enabled neither could call home = OK.

You might think that's as expected, but it's NOT. Because in PG i have NOT included IE in it's safe list, as i mainly use FF. If for whatever rare reason i want to use IE i toggle this setting in PG

pg-p.gif

And afterwards back again. If i try to launch IE offline or online i get this, as i should

inv.gif

About the same time as all this was happening, i saw several Explorer.exe FW log alerts at slighty different intervals, some to local ports, others to my ISP's DNS :eek: I know in the past you've said Prevx does NOT use Explorer.exe to try & get out. And i presume that means explorer.exe as well ? So i'm NOT saying Prevx/PSOL was trying to use Explorer.exe to get out, just mentioning what i saw !

The main thing is this,

So how is Prevx/PSOL able to launch IE, if Any/Every attempt i make to launch it whilst the PG block is on, fails ? I checked PG to make sure it's still blocked, & it is.

TIA

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Prevx is opening IE to a help page to assist you with the connectivity issue. It doesn't do anything out of the ordinary to execute your browser so I'd suspect this is a bug in PG.

(P.S. - the alarmist thread titles probably aren't too helpful to the faint of heart ;))

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I understand that ;)

:eek: Ooh err, hope it's not :( I'll investigate further, & maybe others could check too to see if it happens to them, with the EXACT settings :thumb:

:D But you're a big boy ;) Anyway it's Alarming to me, as i'm sure you can appreciate :thumb:

Thanks for now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.