Prevx secret Persistent Cookie !

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Our server sends down a cookie on all communications and apparently in some cases the cookie will be saved to disk. When being written from an agent, the cookie will be stored.[/QUOTE]

There isn't a specific purpose - it looks to be more of an aberration as there is no need to store cookies in this context. I've noticed some other applications doing this (LogMeIn and MSN Messenger on my PC here) so it would appear to be an OS function rather than something controllable.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ PrevxHelp

Hi, i'm still not fully understanding this :(

You mean if we visit your www ? or when Prevx the app communicates with your sever ?

What makes "some cases" different to others ?

What Precisely is that Agent ? I don't suppose you mean the FED's :D

TIA

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The cookie you've seen came from the Prevx application (the agent) communicating with the server. The normal prevx.com website will also create a cookie

For instance, I haven't found any Prevx cookies on any of my PCs here that were created from the agent (although of course the website has created cookies).

No, the agent is the software you install on your PC :D

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ PrevxHelp

I was just about to log out, but saw your post ;)

OK

"What makes "some cases" different to others ?"

In other words, you don't know, yet anyway :D

Well that's a relief :D

I guess this will be an ongoing thing, for now, until you find the Root cause as to why it seems to affect some and not others ! It's no big deal, just wierd.

Regards

5. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Hi, first post.

I think I know why this happens. I had seven of them, the last from August. I deleted them, then I tested some malware from malware domain list. I manually scanned with Prevx the file I downloaded via the right click context menu and the cookie showed up. Hope this helps.

6. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Sorry for the double post but a second scan of the same file the cookie doesn't return. Just a theory but I think it could be due to a file that the Prevx cloud hasn't seen yet which is the cause of this cookie ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.