Prevx RC 3.0.4.218

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by PrevxHelp, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello all,
    This build fixes a handful of incompatibilities and issues. To retest the changes after upgrading, just close/reopen your browser. The download links are still:

32bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta
    64bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta64

The changelog is:

Fixed an issue enabling full protection in SafeOnline after upgrading from .65
    Fixed an issue incorrectly cleaning the MBR rootkit with Rollback Rx
    Fixed handling of "New Window" in Opera
    Fixed an incompatibility in Sandboxie on Vista
    Improved the credential leak warning dialogs
    Fixed some issues under UAC
    Fixed an issue incorrectly blocking some window access
    Minor graphical changes

Known Issues:
    - Issue opening an externally delivered link in Opera
    - Possible issues with some download managers (if you experience any, please send a scan log to report@prevxresearch.com - we're adding exceptions for them as much as possible as they are reproduced)
    - Possible (unreplicated) issue with Threatfire v4.6.0.19
    - Possible issue cleaning the Trojan Simulator
    - Possible incompatibility with KeyScrambler
    - Some incompatibilities with Fritz!Protect firewall

Conceptual Incompatibilities:
    - Defensewall is expected to block Opera support as it prevents browsers from reaching trusted components (Prevx) so we are not able to load some protection/monitoring into an Opera browser protected by Defensewall

- SAS and MBAM scanning is sometimes slowed when Prevx is active: This is an issue stemming back a while and is solved by stopping Prevx protection while scans are taking place. We're investigating whether it would be possible to identify the operations SAS/MBAM are making in the system to prevent us from intercepting their file reads to improve their scan times.

Next Steps:
    - Add Safari Support
    - Add Iron Support
    - Add Maxthon Support
    - Add a "Reset to Default" button

Please let me know what you find and thanks again for the testing! :)

2. markusg

markusg Registered Member

Have you reproduced the problems i have with
    jaws i think it was in version 13. i can't test this week.

3. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Right clicking on a folder to scan, also shows other folders being scanned. At scan progress 85% it suddenly scans in the folder system32 and other folders not related to the initial right click scan folder. Clear? :D

4. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I cant reproduce that, maybe the system scan is running too fast but i think that could be a rootkit scan.

5. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Im going to make one of my famous videos and PM it to PrevxHelp :)

6. leofelix

leofelix Registered Member

Hi
    I installed this new release candidate.
    It works fine.
    But I had to uninstall 'cause (as I said some weeks ago) MalwareBytes' AntiMalware take too long to perform a quick scan.

I use MalwareBytes' Antimalware full paid version.

I hope you are planning to fix this issue with MBAM, I like a lot PREVX and I'd like to use it alongside MalwareBytes' Antimalware.

Thank you very much in advance

7. Habakuck

View the changelog.. ;)

8. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

Unless I need to do something special (other then uninstall->reboot->reinstall), this is not working in 218 still.

9. leofelix

leofelix Registered Member

Ops, sorry:eek: :D
    I didn't noticed this

"- SAS and MBAM scanning is sometimes slowed when Prevx is active: This is an issue stemming back a while and is solved by stopping Prevx protection while scans are taking place. We're investigating whether it would be possible to identify the operations SAS/MBAM are making in the system to prevent us from intercepting their file reads to improve their scan times."

I downloaded this RC some hours ago when this topic wasn't still started.

I tried PREVX 3.0.4 RC in several PCs with different OS (XP home, XP pro, Vista) and different antivirus installed (Avira premium, Microsoft Security Essentials, ESET NOD 32 v 4) and in each PC, malwarebytes' Antimalware quicks scan is very slow if PREVX installed.

Glad to see PREVX company is looking into this issue.

Regards:cool:

10. dorgane

dorgane Guest

hi,
    have you got date/time for prevx support safe browser on 64 bits sytem?
    tahnk you

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I think I've finally figured out what's crashing my browsers. I believe AdMuncher is conflicting with Prevx 3.0; some security applications are known to conflict with AdMuncher because of the way it works. Joe, could you please take a look into this? In the meantime, I will use AdBlock Plus as an alternate.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I never had an issue between Ad Muncher and Prevx. However worth to say that I am using live version of Prevx (.65). Can you be more specific in describing difficulties you are facing to? Anyhow, I would suggest you to contact Jeff or Murray via the Live Chat in Ad Muncher's GUI and also report them your troubles. I guess they would be curious to learn what's going on.

13. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Browser crashes seem to be caused by downloading. If I click on "Downloads" in FireFox or download, the browser will crash, otherwise it will not.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Firefox 3.5.3 & TrayIt 4.6.5.5 (http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm)

Firefox won't minimise to systray with Prevx 3.0.4.218 installed. The right-click options don't even appear when clicking on the minimise button.

15. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I have to do more testing to determine definitely whether Ad Muncher is the sole cause of my browser crashes. So far, I've not experienced any crashes with Ad Muncher not running.

As for the crashing, the browser just crashes suddenly--it'll pause for a second or two, then crash. It happened with IE, Firefox, and Chrome.

16. PrevxHelp

We have not been able to reproduce any problems with it as long as your protection is set to High instead of Maximum for HTTPS.

17. PrevxHelp

You shouldn't have to... I'll take a closer look at this again to see what is broken :)

18. PrevxHelp

It's still some time away - we're definitely focused on 32bit for now and, especially in the areas which we're dealing with in SafeOnline, 64bit requires a significant change in the underlying code.

I suspect we will start with supporting Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 but leave XP x64 for some time still as it does not have adequate functionality to support many of the features needed so different techniques are required.

19. PrevxHelp

I've forwarded this onto our QA team and will hopefully have an answer soon! Thank you for the testing :) I'll definitely get back to you as soon as I hear something.

20. PrevxHelp

I haven't been able to reproduce this in FF or Chrome. I've clicked Downloads with the browser on an HTTPS website and on an HTTP website, then tried clearing down the downloads and clicking it again, and then tried clicking other similar options like Add-ons, Java Console... all with no luck :doubt:

Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong? :D

21. PrevxHelp

Could you try setting protection down to High from maximum for HTTPS (or any other configured domains?)

I suspect we are preventing TrayIt from accessing the browser window (intentionally) which is why it isn't able to minimize it. After lowering protection, you'll need to restart your browser but then it should work fine :)

22. Habakuck

+ 1 vote for SaveOnline 64-bit support. Just to let you know... ;)

23. markusg

markusg Registered Member

can i use jaws + prevx + maximum settings in the near future. or is there no possebility?

24. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Ditto

25. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Would it be possible to know the planned timeframe for introducing SafeOnline to x64 systems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.