Prevx protection+on demand antivirus

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by karad, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

Due to some conflicts which came about in my Windows 7 64bits pc I understood the combination of

Comodo Internet Security-inclusive of AV,D+
    and
    PrevX 3.0.5.50 beta 64bits paid

could perhaps give raise to occasional conflicts which in my case damaged Paragon backup software (thread in Paragon sector).
    As a matter of fact twice a BSOD came about,the first time WhoCrashed explained the dump as the work of cmdguard.exe, the second was a ntfs thing.

So I decided to get rid of the AV part of CIS, as I reasoned the 'Boclean' part might have interfered, and I downloaded Avira free installing it without any heuristic Guard or Shell ext.

So now I run Prevx full blast and I make frequent scans with the antivirus, having of course the firewall and HIPS part of Comodo running all the time with max settings.

Asap Superantispyware 64 bits will be ready and I will add that to the on demand programs.

The speed of the machine has increased noticeably with the elimination of the AV,adding more speed to an already fast OS.

Anyone thinks this approach is wrong or inadequate to fully protect please let me know.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The combination of Comodo Firewall, Defense+, AntiVir, and Prevx looks like a very strong setup to me. If it is working well for you and not causing problems, I would say that it's more than enough and I wouldn't bother adding anything else. With a combination like that, I'm not sure that you need SUPERAntiSpyware as well, but it certainly won't do any harm to have an additional on-demand scanner, just to be on the safe side, if it makes you feel more comfortable. You were right to get rid of the AV part of CIS though in order to minimise the potential for conflict.

You didn't say whether you have Prevx on its own or with SafeOnline, but if you don't have SafeOnline and you want additional browser security then you could consider adding SafeOnline to Prevx. It's available for 64-bit.

The only other thing you might want to consider is some kind of virtualisation for web browsing or for trying out new software that doesn't require a reboot. Returnil RVS 2010 and Shadow Defender are both excellent choices and both are available for 64-bit. A 64-bit version of Sandboxie is also now available and, whilst it might not be quite as secure as the 32-bit version, I would think that it would be more than adequate with the setup that you've got.

Edit: I should have mentioned that, if you do decide to go for Sandboxie don't bother with SafeOnline, as they are not compatible.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. karad

karad Registered Member

Thanks pegr,what you say is comforting and I agree with your views.

Let me pinpoint I only have Avira on demand and the absence of a full fledged antivirus and its substitution with Prevx is (if slightly) perceptible even with a 4 gygas RAM 64bits machine.
    Thats for speed.

As regards security for all these years I've seen antivirus progs baffled by the enemy in all respects and Prevx cannot do worse than that.....
    When i was using DriverAgent to change a few drivers I appreciated the swiftness of Prevx in blocking it, still,as i run KeyScrambler( for keyloggers) and Roboform free for those few sites I care about, I find no reason for SafeOnline,which i appreciate,but dont use.
    I would,though,if I didnt have the two mentioned programs.

Moreover,I didnt mention in this post,but i already run Returnil 2010,with the AV part disabled. I've used it since it came out and couldnt do without it. Too useful and ,for me, it was always reliable.

In another computer I've run for a few months Comodo Time Machine, which I also find a great program, totally reliable even in the beta stage, when I used it with two OSs and changing snapshot everyday-it never failed me: my plan is to setup one pc with Returnil+Imaging programs and another with CTM,hoping the HD never gets flu.

Regards,
    karad

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Sounds like you've got a well thought out security policy there. :)

Best wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.