PrevX Not Working?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by MrKingston, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKingston

MrKingston Registered Member

I am using PrevX Safe Online but I fear its not working correctly. I have noticed its been keeping quiet for a while so I tested it with some downloads from MDL. It doesn't seem to be picking anything up.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Prevx is scanning on execution of files. Right-click scanning is only one of many layers in the protection. Try executing a file from MDL (BE SURE TO DO IT IN A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT AND NOT ON YOUR REAL OS!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!) and you'll see the strengths of Prevx as all the protection layers will be applied.

Bare in mind that Prevx seldom detects rouge (fake) AVs, but that will be adressed in Prevx 4.

4. MrKingston

MrKingston Registered Member

Ok Thanks

5. volvic

volvic Registered Member

WHY is that then

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Because their behaviour is not really malicious like traditional malware, they are harder to detect and they release new varations very quickly. That makes it difficult for a lot of AV software to detect them. MBAM used to focus on rogues only, in fact the old name is RogueRemover, and is still very good at it, so if you need to remove them I would advise MBAM. Prevx 4 will have a new behaviour module designed to detect the typical behaviour of Rogue AV's.

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Exactly. And that is the akilles heel of Prevx (and every other AV except Norton's Insight-system). Hopefully, Prevx 4 will put those Rouges where they belong to; hell. :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

And when is v4 coming out ? (approx.)
    Can't wait to see that magic :D

9. PrevxHelp

While rogues are definitely harder to find for every AV, Prevx is certainly quite good at finding them anyway. We've scored well above most other products in rogue tests done by independent sources - there is nothing fundamentally different about finding a rogue from finding any other threat, just that they don't exhibit behaviors of malware so we have to depend more heavily on the signature based components of Prevx :)

10. PrevxHelp

It is still a few months away but I'll be keeping the forum updated with news as it comes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.