Prevx Migration: Prevx is now SLOOWWWW!!!

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by barbecue, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbecue

barbecue Registered Member

Title says it all.

Went to bed last night with Prevx running on my fast computer.
    Came home this evening to Webroot SecureAnywhere and a machine so slow it's literally hard to type this message due to the lag.

Not only is the performance on my system truly horrible, but there are several other things I seriously dislike about this new product, not the least of which is requiring a captcha to change settings.

A change this significant should not have happened without some sort of notification to the end user prior to installation.

2. barbecue

Ugh, and what's this 30 day trial business? I didn't ask for a 30 day trial, and I don't want one.

I appreciate that Webroot is enthusiastic about their products, but installing completely different software without user permission is absolutely not acceptable.

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Hello barbecue, and welcome! Can you give us more info about software you've got installed. Have you rebooted? Tried a clean install? Here is info about Access Control (disabling captcha etc) https://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Settings.asp?n=Setting_access_control

You can download a fresh copy of WSA here -http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe-

I'm sure someone will be along to help you more soon, fear not WSA is VERY light normally, which hopefully you'll soon see.

Hope this is some help.

p.s. do a clean install, and it'll accept your license.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

See this reply from PrevxHelp where he says this regarding the 30-day licence:

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i saw one system today where this happened. prevx updated to wsa and the system was running ridiculously slow not sure why. they brought it in to me to figure out. i first did a full uninstall, reboot made sure everything was cleaned up and reinstalled and everything is fine now for them. wsa is essentially prevx 4.0 and what prevx would have been if a newer one would have come out you would have ended up with this anyway.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

As suggested by the other users, it should help to run a clean install here after rebooting, and insert your license key directly. As for the captcha to change settings - this is to prevent malware from automatically disabling protection by clicking through the user interface. However, if you want to disable this, you can control it under Settings - Access Control.

I suspect that once uninstalling WSA and rebooting, then reinstalling with your license key, your system performance will fix itself, but please let me know your results.

Thank you!

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hhmmm :rolleyes:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2202300&postcount=3

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2202541&postcount=6

Install/uninstall/reboot/reinstall/license !!

While I have a different plan in mind: I refer again to
    Might be a few similar posts to this soon.

While I suspect most PrevX users might be aware of what is happening with new WSA install, obviously some are not fully cognizant of plans.

PrevX Help has been busy clarifying ....

I am very appreciative of the efforts Webroot has made to keep PrevX users on board.

Might I suggest a sticky with a link to some formally sanctioned Webroot or PrevX site/page detailing exactly what will happen, what may be needed, licensing change over, and differences btwn PrevX free and WSA trial.

This is a pretty big change from both ends, and we are about to commit $$ to Webroot, as webroot is about to commit to us.

??

8. zfactor

i have seen numerous upgrades happen now without issues so this should be a very small amount of users that have this issue imo. i know of more than 2 dozen systems that have all updated to webroot all without issues from prevx 3.0 and only one that had a problem.

9. guest

guest Guest

I don't understand why people were running ancient Prevx 3.0 until now and didn't change much sooner like the people on this forum did or at least I thought so? :eek:

I myself did migrate of course instantly to "Webroot Secure Anywhere" branded "Prevx 4" when it was released for public. Informed about that I was probably via this very same forum? Don't remember anymore. If it was possible to use the same key or get a new key I don't remember either.

Obviously some people now are having problems that somehow "slept" through the developments of last months and years. But I remember all the voices that criticized Webroot for the fact that Prevx was still available (or maybe is until today?) even if Webroot Secure Anywhere (aka Prevx 4, so the same thing with additional features) was already released a long time ago. This thread etc. seems to be sort of the fallout of this decision. From some people there might be even a "see, I told you so!". :D

However .. I want to remember everyone how we all (or most or many of us) did fear back then that Webroot buying Prevx technology could have ended up in horrible bloatware etc. I was one of those being very mad and concerned about that merger or whatever it was.

BUT (!) very soon it was clear that Webroot Secure Anywhere was (and is now) much better than Prevx 3 of course ever was, no bloatware at all and Prevx 3 .. sorry .. a dead software version that should have been buried long time ago.

Only thing that could have been done better would have been much sooner migrating from that old software version to the new Webroot product. Maybe a better information policy would have been nice for old customers. I mean they have a "fantastic" :rolleyes: (license-is-about-to-end) nagging system in Webroot SA in place, I guess there is nothing like it in Prevx 3.0 implemented else people could have been warned about migration all day long. :D

But most important: if you have trouble after migrating -> that is NOT (!) the normal experience for Webroot SA users! - So don't give up, uninstall the old version or listen to Joe & Co. for their advise and soon you will be very happy, I am sure about that! :D - I NEVER (!) wished to go back to Prevx 3.0 since installing Webroot SA (years? or at least many, many months ago!) and I was very skeptic about the new Webroot product at first. :)

Good luck with solving your problems and have fun soon with the "fastest" AV product available (to my knowledge). So not with outdated Prevx 3 anymore (goodbye old chap! :D) but with top-notch Webroot Secure Anywhere. :)

10. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I have to agree with Longboard on this.
    In my opinion this whole transfer of Prevx licenses has been badly handled from almost day one (well over a year agoo_O ).
    What percentage of Prevx 3 users are actually aware of either this forum or Webroot. A very small percentage I would think - 0.01% ?, probably less than that. At the very least all users and holders of a current Prevx license should have received an email to inform them of what was happening and what to expect. There must be probably millions of Prevx users who have or are going to have their Prevx suddenly disappear and be replaced by an alien AV that they in all likely hood have never heard of.
    When Emsi decided to discontinue OA++ (which I had installed at the time) I received an email in good time informing me of what was going to happen and what the future roadmap was for OA++. I have also received email notification from other software vendors (including security software) when important changes were going to take place. I really cannot see any reason why Webroot couldn't have done the same with Prevx users.

But what I find really sad is that I can still go to

https://www.cleverbridge.com/53/?sc...66f4adf585d2883df9de27e1e10e0&cfg=individuals

and buy Prevx SOL now even though they are transferring Prevx 3 users to WSA :cautious: :thumbd:

11. PrevxHelp

We don't have email addresses for all of our users as we've never forced collection of addresses, but we've been sending messages out to the addresses we do have for quite some time now to help smooth over this process.

We've already migrated somewhere in the tens of thousands of users and will soon be ramping it up to the hundreds of thousands, but we're monitoring any issues closely to ensure this goes as smoothly as possible.

We will be disabling the carts/etc. soon but right now they are still available as there are some groups of users who will continue to remain on P3 for a couple months while we finish the discussions with the partners/resellers who own those customers (and who need to have our cart still available for those who are renewing in the meantime).

12. barbecue

Well, a complete uninstall, reboot, and reinstall seems to have resolved the performance problems, though that sort of defeats the purpose of having a completely automated upgrade.

However I'm still not pleased that such a significant change to my computer was made without my approval. Given that the updater was able to uninstall the old version and install a new one entirely unattended, it should have been possible for it to pop up a dialog explaining the update and asking the user for confirmation.

I will also reinforce what Dark Star 72 said about relying on forums to spread the word about your product. Online forums are a powerful support tool, but it's a mistake to think of them as a good way to get in touch with your userbase. Forums are invariably populated by only a fraction of the established users. It's easy enough to confirm this by simply comparing download statistics to forum membership numbers.

For my elderly mother, having a program disappear and a completely different program appear would be confusing and disturbing. And yes, from her perspective it would be a completely different program. The icon's different, the company name is different, the product name is different.

Webroot should have provided a gentler transition.

13. PrevxHelp

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback, and we will definitely be taking it under advisement. The migrations are just beginning and we have control over user experience moving forward.

For what it's worth, if the migration did take place successfully in your case, the user interface should look like this:

Screenshot.png

And the link on the homepage there points to an information page describing the differences and information about the transition.

I'll sync up with our team here to see what else we can do to improve the experience.

Thanks again!

14. zfactor

agreed joe this question has come up with customers more than a few times in the last few days, a better way of making one aware of the upgrade would be a good idea.... not that the upgrade is bad at all just that it seems to be taking people by surprise with the very different program they are not used to seeing. one minute they have prevx then they come home and turn it on later and have webroot. the feedback i have got from most was they were very confused. i have tried to let most of my clients i could remember who were running prevx about the upgrade but while i dealt with prevx and installed it for many we were not a direct dealer at the time i did keep some copies on hand i got from places like newegg for those who did want it but i dont have a "client list" of my prevx users..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.