Prevx MESS!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by iwod, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i installed Prevx and after a reboot it completely mess up my computer!.

I can no longer go on to the internet. As the DNS client and DHCP services will not start up!

My TCP IP driver has error.

Anyone give me a hand? I try to uninstall Prevx and Zone alarm ( just in case if they are not working together ) and still doesn't work. :mad:

2. chew

chew Registered Member

hmmm ... how did you install Prevx in the first place? It's a matter of download, close windows related programmes, install and click update to get the latest ... that's all.

TCP IP driver error ... hmm ... would that mean you need to configure your ZA firewall to let Prevx runs? Sorry no help here I am just guessing.

You can Uninstall Prevx from Start button > Prevx > Home > Uninstall.

I still think it is your ZA firewall setting. Nothing to do with Prevx ...

I have many security softwares on my system ... and Prevx just installed smoothly.

:)

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

No.... it is like a matter of destroying my TCP/IP system. Although i couldn't fubd the course of it but it happen immediately after i installed Prevx and restart.

I tried Uninstall and it ddn't work.

I am sure it isn't zone alarm Flase. Because after i restart prevx promot me to update. And it said internet not connected. I set ZoneAlarm to full access. And it didn't work either.

Try double clicking on the Local connection tray icon. And in the second tab everything about TCP/IP is unavalible.

Then i try uninstall Prevx. Didn't help
    Try uninstall ZA. Didn't work either.

Looking at services. None of the DNS client and DHCP services. IPSEC etc were started. Even they are set to automatic.

And all of these services are dependent on TCP/IP driver. Which now no longer work or is corrupted.

4. chew

chew Registered Member

iwod

Sorry I am of no help whatsoever. I hope more experience users should come along to help out.

Or you can email Pervx for help. I think they are very good at helping out ... well at least they reply to my email.

Just furnish them with info. related to your system and the process in which you install it and what you have done since then.

Hope someone can come alone now to clarify the problem.

:doubt:

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Are you running/were you running Zonealarm 5.XXo_O? It blew me out when I went to uninstall due to so many problems.

Even if not, this fix usually fixes the TCP/IP problems IF you are running Windows XP. Let us know.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Wow L2b, that is one handy file to have on tap. Thankyou. ;)

GF

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

If i read correctly what your exe file did was to reset TCP/IP and Winsock.

Which i had already tried using netsh manually And it didn't work.

Now i had "upgraded" ( which is basicaly reinstall ) my WinXP to Final SP2.

I try install again this time with system restore. The first time i had ever had to use this program.

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Did you by chance change any of the services? I had a similar problem when I tried disabling Terminal Services. If you didn't mess with it, you might at least make sure it's up and running along with DCOM Server Process Launcher.

9. nullend_void

nullend_void Registered Member

ive got problems with prevx too! after installing and rebooting.. my computer wont boot into windows xp anymore! the instant a bar shows up during loading, i get a blue screen and my laptop immediately restarts.. the only way i fixed this was when i chose to use the last known good configuration.. any ideas on the problem im having?

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What version of ZoneAlarm are/were you running?

Has SP2 fixed the problem?

The following is how to fix a corrupt or deleted Winsock:

To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.

Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

2. Click Install.

3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.

4. Click Have Disk.

5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.

6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

7. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps…

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am not running Prevx now but one thing I can add about SP2 - I had problems with DCOM and DHCP plus a few others in the event viewer. It took me a while to fathom what was going on until I discovered that services I previously disabled and had no issue with when running SP1 were actually needed for SP2. This has happened to several people who noticed errors in the event log when booting. Check out the services as I really did have to set mine to manual and watch which ones had started until I eventually configured them for SP2. My 'security' services configuration would not work with my SP2 setup.

Sorry if this is not the case but it really did have my event log with start up errors :( HTH

12. sard

sard Registered Member

PrevX caused Dr.Web's resident scanner to crash when you access the Dr.Web options menu on my computer. If I disabled PrevX it stopped crashing.

13. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I also run drweb and Prevx--i havnt had any problems at all---i think Prevx is one of the best programs iv'e used so far--can't believe it is free.

14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Yep, same here Brainwarp, it is worth far more then rated at this time ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.