prevx home page claims other AV's missed malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawkeen, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I don't quite get the brouha about Prevx's website. While browsing through 5 pages here I opened a tab and checked the homepages of 7 other AV/AntiMalware products and found they all blow their own horns about their software. Hey they are trying to get customers. Many of them are very good at what they do, as is Prevx. As has been said here many times, Try them before you buy then and use what works good for you...:)

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Always the same. Companies start to make strange charts and leave out important competitors or other relevant data. Seems those companies ran out of better arguments to convice customers buying their product?

Thank god my job is to make detections and not to "produce" charts.

3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=243498&page=7

Go to the post by nosirrah and read it. Even though he is referring to something else, in his explaination he hits on something relevent to this thread; and thats how an av that does well in tests can fail a user in the real world. I think that is the part of the point PrevxHelp is making. In their chart they are seeing active infections from products that have done very well in testing. In the end what's it matter its just a chart anyway?

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I missed this portion of your post before so I thought I'd clarify what I meant :) Before being bought out by Symantec, Threatfire had this chart:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071102080141/http://www.threatfire.com/

See the difference? :)

The Threatfire test may indeed have been conducted in a scientific manner by a third party, but they have recently doctored the results to benefit themselves.

One of the core reasons behind not interpreting the vendor data on our homepage further is so that we don't obscure anything - we give the raw data and there really isn't anything to argue with once you have that.

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

6. PrevxHelp

Dormant files only existing in system folders and in areas which can be easily executed (i.e. the desktop). Traces like registry entries and shortcuts and non-executable files are not counted as a miss.

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

but files with *.VIR, *.FNE, *.TMP, etc. are counted..

8. PrevxHelp

We don't look at the file extension, just the file contents, as a file can still be loaded in any number of ways even if the extension is not executable by default. The filename shown in the page with an extension of .vir is probably just an artifact of a file having many names associated with it all pointing back to the same unique file.

However, if you right click and scan a folder with 5,000 .vir files, we won't report those into the chart.

9. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  10. PrevxHelp

I checked through every filename missed by Avast (picked a random vendor) and they have 7 .VIR named files which we found out of 8567, so 0.08% of the files may have been renamed.

I'm willing to live within this range :)

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

PrevxHelp, repetition is a signal that a topic is (a) important and (b) unanswered, in my opinion.

PrevxHelp, to be precise, Prevx doesn’t actually give the “raw data”: neither the individual “missed threats” records for a single day, nor the number of PCs corresponding to each vendor’s “missed threats” statistics, nor the actual false positive rate for Prevx, nor the number of website visitors to the “Explain this chart” webpage versus the Prevx home webpage (at least so far). There hasn’t been much “data giving” to-date, unfortunately. :(

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Pleonasm, repetition is a signal that a topic is (a) not as important to others as it is to you and (b) overanswered, in my opinion.

13. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Registered Member

Hi @all!
    Sry but I don´t understand the whole excitement over these graphs, too.

Every business company has it´s own marketing strategy. Please take a closer look at all these phrases written on the boxes or websites of other av-companies. Why don´t you discuss about these ones? I don´t get the point. Why is Prevx particularly criticized?
    And it´s overanswered, indeed!

Regards,
    Nightwatch

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I completely agree, this the crux of the debate, they are publishing data that right or wrong doesn't come from independent organizations. Boasting about awards, is the only way to correctly advertise your product.

15. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I'm starting to see the reason

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

People are bored and want something to argue about I guess. It seems to happen every 2-3 months here.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

So you think that people are just mobbing PREVX because they finally revealed the truth of the matter? People see the whole thing under their own perspective and only time will tell if their vile "strategy" will pay off in terms of sales. Considering how this thread is progressing I wouldn't take it as a good omen for PREVX.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  18. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Is there a free version of Prevx besides the 30 day trial version?

19. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

xMarkx

You thining of jumping ship ? lol

20. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi,

Like some users i have already poited out in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240920 the absence of deontologya of theses charts that might be considered as comparative tests by the average users PrevX web site visitor.
    Since there is no clear disclaimer, i maintain that this here a dishonest marketing.
    And if i really wish to be as dirty as Sentenza i will for instance:
    1/ buy a license, take a lawyer that will study the Eula, and find the way to begin a class action.
    2/ buy a license and prove:
    -that some av detect malwares that PrevX has missed,
    -how PrevX scanner engine can be easily defeated and evaded by using various methods, some perhaps unknown from the developers...
    But i have other things to do than these kidding games (even serious, i am here for the fun).
    Another thing to add in the "bad list":
    When an user install the trial version, he is involved automatically in the community without a clear disclamer as in the past: this is here Fist F..K..G user's privacy.
    And due to the number of FPs, the user is incited to buy a license in order to cure an infection that has never existed...MAGIC!
    I already love the PrevX marketing mantra ("we detect ...missed"), but here the marketing is really genious! I suggest for those who have time to scan a fresh install of Windows, maybe PrevX will detect something that Microsoft has missed....

On the other hand i understand PrevX dev. team frustration: they have worked hard for releasing an effective product, and they wish legitimately to see their product being considered as good as any AV leader.
    But i am sure that this wish can not be realized by av comparative testing: av testing is already an equation quite impossible to resolve, and the in the cloud approach makes it much more impossible to resolve...
    The security soft industry is a highly competitive market which has never been a catholic world: the av industry has been selling placebo products deliberately (they know that black list is a dead end concept) since years, helped by fully corrupted av test organization (VB 100)...
    Finally, even vicious, pretentious and quite dishonest, i see nothing scandalous in PrevX which is just a company with an aggressive marketing as thousands and thousands in the software market.
    At least anyone is free to use it or not, as i have not seen a computer sold with an installed trial version of PrevX, as it is the case for most av...
    Some organization provides single test reviews with a financial participation, AV-Comparative for instance, but not done for profit goals, and much more worse, CascadianLabs
    ( http://cascadialabs.com/index.html ): it's up to PrevX to sign a big check to Cascadian Labs and they will tell us how wonderful life is when using PrevX...
    If PrevXhelp is interested, i can give by PM a contact of a french lab that belongs to a military department, and that sometimes provides technical AV tests published in a System Engineer confidential publication.

Any editor tries to push up its product in order to sell more and more licenses, and ethical corruption has never been an obstacle to this business religion.
    More than in the cloud statistics or av comparative tests, the key for becoming a or THE leader has been showed by Symantec: trade-marketing and partnerships with PC manufacturers: Norton is the leader in France, not because it is the most effective av, not because it performs very well in av tests...NO...Norton is the leader because 25% or 35% of users have their first av experience with it...
    In a few words, it is a question of cash flow: "to have or to have not"...

rgds

21. hawkeen

hawkeen Registered Member

As the OP, I asked because at work I have been investigating prevx for an additional layer. When I first visited prevx's site, my initial response from the graph was mixed. On one hand, they are blasting other AV's in a self righteous way when they suffer from same problems. However, they do point out that AV's miss malware and that no single product will protect the user 100% of the time.

We have purchased prevx for a number of PC's and will see how it goes.

On a sidenote, our IT infrastructure uses fortigate and it blocks the downloading of prevx due to classifying it as malware.

Hawk

22. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Virus Bulletin's results seem to be rather dubious if this is anything to go by.

23. Someone

Prevx has an unlimited trial version which can detect but can't remove malware.

24. Someone

Apparently that's already happened. :D :ouch:

25. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Oh!? Yaah!...I just told five of my friends to buy Prevx if they want good protection for their PCs. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.