Prevx Home Edition - free

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JohnK, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the screenshot and the further info (very informative) I can see some of the features would overlap with Ad-aware plus but also see that you can turn on an off the protection as required.

I do have other security applications but looking at the variety listed in this post I would say conflict would be minimal - just hope it agrees with Sygate Pro!! (I note one has this firewall) I am going to be starting afresh with my computer in August so now would be the time to 'test' this before I would install anything on my new system. I am always fearful of betas but I know one thing if there is a bug or conflict I would be the one to find it :oops: I have my main computer or my laptop so will decide which one gets the beta :rolleyes: thanks again.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

PrevX runs fine with Sygate free.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks to all I found the courage and have just installed Prevx on my laptop first. I am literally using this for the very first time so will need to review any settings to see if I need to change anything to avoid conflicts with other software. I can now read this thread with the actual program installed!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  4. kanga2cool

kanga2cool Registered Member

:) Hi guys what the differance between Prevx and Process Guard dose Prevx do the same jod as PG.
    Thaks for your answer

5. Hyper

Hyper Guest

I have another question.PrevX wants to update and downloads something every 2 days.And you can't disabel the update.Since it's not a signature based product,what does it download?

Hyperion

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I think the updates include any fixes and enhancements to the program. I have been updating mine manually but you can change the frequency of the update from the control panel if you don't want the auto updates every 2 days. As this is a beta product I feel I need to download the updates to see any differences they make. You can view the .txt file in the Prevx folder which shows the current problems and what has been fixed.

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Kanga2cool, I have both with no problems. The purpose of the two programs is quite different,except that they protect your system. My suggestion is to read what you can about both, and get both.

8. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

When the upgrade for 2.0.9.8 came out the update process told me there was an update for my 2.0.9.6 version for 2.0.9.8. On that run, all the update did was install the new version - I know that because after the reboot I said no to the second "check updates now" box. The security settings were the same as before the upgrade.

I then did a manual update and it brought down new security settings (DLL and BHO) and replaced some of the existing ones.

So, it looks to me that in the future there may be new security settings coming out seperately from product updates.

It's definitely not signature based.

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I think PrevX could have a software conflict with the upcoming Windows XP service pack 2. PrevX protects against buffer overflows, and XP service pack 2 also does the same thing. One XP SP2 feature is:

Memory protection. Some attacks by malicious software leverage software vulnerabilities that allow too much data to be copied into areas of the computer's memory. These vulnerabilities are typically referred to as buffer overruns. Although no single technique can completely eliminate this type of vulnerability, Microsoft is employing a number of security technologies to mitigate these attacks from different angles. First, core Windows components are being recompiled with the most recent version of our compiler technology to help mitigate against buffer overruns. Additionally, Microsoft is working with microprocessor companies to help Windows support hardware-enforced "no execute" (or NX) on microprocessors that contain the feature. NX uses the CPU itself to enforce the separation of application code and data, preventing an application or Windows component from executing program code that an attacking worm or virus inserted into a portion of memory marked for data only.

11. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Are you actually going to put 100% of your trust into Microsoft doing it right over an aftermarket product?

12. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Does anyone have an Athlon64/Opteron with SP2 RC# who has used PrevX?

13. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Slovak, i'm only stating a possible software conflict that could take place between prevx and XP SP2. What u mean by saying i am trusting microsoft 100%?
    I don't trust microsoft 100%. XP SP2 may have some compatibility problems. Microsoft needs to get XP SP2 to work with most programs.

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I wouldn't expect there to be compatibility issues here, the approaches are different. My (elementary) understanding of this is that Microsoft is basically enforcing rules for the programs that run in windows, basically not allowing code that would be vulnerable to this kind of attack, plus giving additional protection/enforcement at the hardware level for owners of processors with the NX feature (currently the 64bit processors.) Whereas I thinkPrevx basically hooks into the process and monitors it, saying "ok, this program is sending too much information to that program in memory, I'm shutting it down"

Basically SP2 would allow the processor to block the information on it's way to memory (if it has that capability), where Prevx would put up a gate on the process in memory, should the information get that far. If it managed to get past all that, SP2 makes it so that the program in memory would have to specifically allow that kind of request (regardless of what kind of processor you have.)

So, really, Prevx would give an additional layer of security, it wouldn't be trying to do the same thing. And no, I wouldn't expect Microsoft's fix to stop 100% of these attacks, or any single software vendor for that matter. Considering the money thats behind the malware out there right now, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before they figure out how to work around these things, or find a different way of achieving the same results.

It should also be noted that if you go to the Prevx page and click on "Our Partners" they are listed as a Microsoft Certified Parter, indicating that they work with their partners in developing their software. That being the case, I would be pretty suprised to see any major compatibility issues.

15. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have E Mailed Prevx to see if it has been tested against SP2. I'll let you know.

16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Hello,
    I am new to the forum but have followed for some time. I heard of Prevx and dl'ed and have been running with no problems. I came across this thread and followed it with interest since I was trying Prevx.
    I discovered today that to defrag with Perfectdisk you have to disable Prevx, has anyone else experienced this?
    So far that is the only quirk I have found since I have been running it for about 10 days.

17. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

ooohhh, that was the problem. man when defragging, everthing went black (don't remember what the colour ment, excluded I think now) and I uninstalled it. I first thought it was my gdata av. but I have prevx too. I will install it again this ev. I had now diskeeper but diskeeper is not in a million times what perfectdisk is.

Thanx Honiak

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I stop all running processes when defragging with O&O Pro defrag (including my firewall) as O&O requires full access with one of its modes. I actually deframented last night on my computer with PrevX and everything worked perfectly (no black screens or hangs) I hardly notice PrevX running at all, the only alerts I have encountered were when I went to Windows update last week otherwise my router and software firewall must be stopping any other attacks plus any spyware guards I have o_O

19. Infinity

I don't want a program that I can use only when I have to close everything down. I used o&o, diskeeper and perfectdisk and the one of system mechanic. but there wasn't any like perfectdisk. it is a matter of taste.

I couldn't use it because apparently prevx, and I uninstalled it. but with this knowledge now I will install it again and one time a week for a half an hour I close prevx to defrag my disk.

thanx

20. Decomp

Decomp Guest

Prevx: i dont want to spoil the joy, but i think there are some issues about there privacy policy if you read this carefully...i can be wrong offcourse.

21. Infinity

what about it?

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

23. Infinity

yes notok, still I cannot see the problem lol

pffff, I guess the first person really adequate of understanding an eula or such an agreement would stop using xp too lol or whatever.

oepsie...

24. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Infinity: I thought that thread actually supported what you were saying. It's an issue that has already been addressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.