Prevx Home Edition - free

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JohnK, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Hi nadirah

What browser are you using that you are getting buffer overflows?

controler

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

So you aren't using a firewall?

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Well I thought I had the pop ups at shut down and start up fixed but it isn't. I thought that the Pxagent.exe file had gotten messed up. Also I have a strange situation that started after Prevx, can't explain. I have a Cookie program , Cookie Pal . I have strange cookies getting in that I've never seen before.Such as [a.as-falkag.net], [ehg-idg.hitbox.com] And what really is strange is they will just show up. The Cookie Pal program logs the cookies and shows which are turned down and which are accepted. These somehow get past getting logged and just show up on the computer. I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot,TDS3 and a Hijackthis scan. May not have anything to do with Prevx. Checked my settings in IE.

4. tazdevl

William,

Open IE, Tools, Internet Options, Privacy Tab, Advanced, Override and hit the block third party cookies radio button. Should help.

5. WilliamP

When I do that I have one web site that won't load. And that is my credit union web site.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Odd.. I tried running SSM 1.8.9 and my system threw a fit. When I restarted, Prevx was giving the error message saying that Prevx Agent couldn't start, etc., but a little while later it popped up a msg warning that RegRun was trying to access IE's BHOs, then it turned itself on and started working normally :eek:

So I guess if you experience problems, try letting it be for a while and see what happens.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I tried SSM 1.8.9 too and uninstalled it because i saw it had a leak or something.The more time it was running,the handles used were increasing.

8. webster

webster Registered Member

I have just reinstalled Prewx. When it tried to connect, ZA warned, and i allowed the connection. Prewx showed an error,could not connect to server. I shutdown ZA, and it connected, and configured, and it is running smooth now. Maybe a ZA issue, Maybe not.

9. webster

By the way, Prevx did not like that Spysweeper tried to access the BHO area in the registry. It warned, like it was saying, I am here, dont touch, stay away :cool:

10. tazdevl

Just allow SS. Prevx monitors the registry so if an app accesses it, it's going to pop up a warning. Prevx also seems to have some sort of proxy built in, so it needs to access the net.

As you found out, if it stops workng and you did something before the odd behavior started, perhaps clicking yes instead of no would be a good idea.

11. webster

Tazdevl

I did allow SS, but i did not have do it. Prevx did not block the scan, just the access attempt. Spysweeper did not try to change anything, but Prevx showed an alert, just because it was there, scanning. I think that is :cool: .

12. 0lan

0lan Guest

Webster & tazdevl

Prevx does not contain any proxies nor does it need an internet conection to
    work.
    If you get an alarm on your firewall regarding Prevx Agent and/or management console, the details in you firewall should show you that
    prevx is trying to access the localhost (127.0.0.1) - it does not try
    to "go" somewhere else.
    Prevx uses this for internal communication and you must allow it (permanent)
    in order to let prevx work properly.

Prevx will never connect to the internet, except you want it to do so:
    - performing an update
    - reporting an alert
    The rest of the time, Prevx wont touch your internet connection ;)

0lan

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That was the thing, though, it didn't bring up any warnings for SSM, when I started SSM it seemed to hose my system, when I restarted it said it couldn't start the Prevx service, but Prevx seemed to spontaneously work again after a few mins. I don't know that there's any connection between SSM and Prevx, I used them previously without any problems except for SSM's memory usage, like Hyperion noted, and it's tendancy to really screw my system up (temporarily), but that's another thread.

At any rate, this is certainly an improvement on Prevx' part from when it would previously be unable to start the service and I would have to totally reinstall (clean.) The more I use this product, the more I like it. I can't wait to see the final release.

14. webster

0lan

Thank you for the information :)

15. tazdevl

I just got a buffer overflow and lsass error... kept restarting. So I uninstalled.

16. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I must say,on my system other than that GUI small problem ,i have nothing to complain of...Stable,nothing strange and...it works :) PC Audit was reported, when i use registry cleaner it reports that the application tries to gain registry control ecc. I m very pleased with it.

17. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Hi taz, I have sygate personal firewall PRO installed on my computer. But i think hackers are attacking my computer, and my firewall BLOCKS them out 100%. One of the attacks was a wild type, and extremely fierce and although my firewall BLOCKED it out 100%, it was so strong but yet it caused only a minor side-effect. That's the buffer overflow, it is only a MINOR side-effect of the attack. The process which was affected by this minor buffer overflow was: svchost.exe but luckily prevx stopped the buffer overflow. And i'm using the browser: firefox version 0.9.2
    After checking my firewall logs, i saw that an enormous amount of unsolicited internet traffic packets, the pattern of the attack involved a lot of unsolicited traffic which was capable of overloading/crashing a computer. ALL unsolicited traffic packets were BLOCKED. And i noticed one of the blocked traffic packets came from a IP address called: 0.0.0.0

PrevX said: This could have been the result of a hacker or internet worm attack.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  18. WilliamP

Taz, it seems you are running SSM on your sys. Is that correct? I have Process Guard and don't seem to have any conflict. The only problem I have is at shut down and reboot I get the pop ups. I am really impressed with PrevX and I hope it continues to behave on my computer. Good luck.

19. tazdevl

Nope. Running Spy Sweeper, ZA Pro 4.5 and NOD32. That's it. Just started happening. After 5 reboots that I couldn't stop, shut it down and uninstalled.

20. WilliamP

Post 56 speaks of Spy sweeper problems and reboots.

21. tazdevl

Thanks, missed that. Working on a product launch, so let's just say I'm like Rainman with ADD at the moment. :D SSM didn't click.

22. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am interested in this new software (although not too keen on beta versions) I note on the website they say easy to install - after installing are the configurations the 'train as you go' type? I know all set up are different and have noted a few problems with it but otherwise is it easy to control once installed? (hopefully without errors!) It certainly looks to be a very promising application.

23. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Setting up is easy as shown

Attached Files:

24. WilliamP

Give it a try. I am very impressed with it. I'm not a security expert and don't know for sure it will do what all is claimed. I like the way it works and when there is an alert it gives you a lot of information on what took place. So far I've had no conflicts with my other programs.

25. controler

controler Guest

running it with Zonealarm 5 with no problems here. test machine has Bo clean, Antivir, Prevex,Zone Alarm 5 Spywearblaster and guard. Also have the built in firewall enabled on SP2 RC2 , usiny visualzone, FirewalllogXp and XP Logreader.

controler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.