Prevx Home Edition - free

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JohnK, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webster

webster Registered Member

Hi,

I agree with INFINITY. PREWX is doing a good job here too. The only problem, is that you cannot undo one single rule, if you make af wrong decision. I hope they will fix that.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Webster made a good point about the undo part. I hope they'll add that or fix it or whatever. It's good tool I'm still testing it.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I suggested being able to edit entires in the blacklist/whitelist individually at the same time I griped about the memory usage, I actually got a real human response!

Hi Adrian,

We appreciate all the comments you have sent in so far they have been
    valuable in helping us shape future releases and to determine customer
    requirements.

We are continually looking at performance and memory usage of the product
    and future release will improve this area. We still aren't quite as big as
    the competitors with similar products. This has been a huge challenge to
    take this technology out of the corporate market and bring Host Intrusion
    Prevention to the desktop.

We are working on a white list style editor which will allow you to view the
    settings, however this is likely to be in the Professional release only.

Thank you for the positive comments they are appreciated.

Regards,

Prevx Home Support

(note: I also gave a couple compliments)
    They also sent me a generic formatted response later saying that the suggestion was being passed on to the beta team.

Keep sending suggestions in, though, the more votes they get for a particular feature, the more likely they are to implement it.

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Won't install for me - :(

Attached Files:

6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Anyone have a screenshot of the main page? Thank you.

7. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

Just a quick reminder to all. Prevx will not work on 9X/ME systems.

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

lynchknot: You have to be logged on as administrator, or an account with administrative privledges.

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
  9. Rui

Rui Registered Member

I agree with INFINITY and Notok, too.
    It seems Prevx Home Edition might be a very good security application, complementing PGuard v. 2.000. I have the two functioning merrily in my system and with no problems. And in these days, it seems all protection we can get is not enough...

10. lynchknot

I am an I know that

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

lynchknot: Obvioulsy something is preventing you from accessing the registry, or at least the drivers part of it. If you can't think of any other security software that might be causing this, then maybe try installing in safe mode.

12. lynchknot

I'm thinking it's probably PG or SSM

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

PG would definitely do it. PG would prevent it from installing the driver it needs to run.

What's SSM?

14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

SSM is system safety monitor. a tool like processguard but not kernel mode driven. it is a very good application, a system firewall not internet firewall but watches your applications they do not get altered or closed.
    It is freeware and you find a copy here:

http://www.webattack.com/get/systemsafety.shtml

if you type SSM in the search area you find a lot info regarding this beautiful little app.

bye

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Ah, ok, I have seen that, the initials just didn't register. I had been curious about it, but never tried it. Didn't know it was low level, either. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info!

16. Infinity

i wouldn't know exactly what could cause this. it could even be some spyware not letting you to install it... but I doubt that.

maybe you can tell us what applications you are using, some interpherens maybe...

17. lynchknot

I exited both apps and I still cannot install.

18. Infinity

I just sent them an email regarding this thread and saying I was very happy wht this software and making some suggestions...

a half an hour and they responded... now that is what I call service, + a great utility helping us staying secure, at least helping us staying safe ...

it is a win win situation I believe for all of us. and I am certainly not affiliated to them.

Sorry Lynchknot you are having these issues.

bye

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hopefully you disabled PG before exiting, if you just exit without disabling the protection, it will still keep drivers from installing.

20. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Hello people,

I'm new on this forum as of tonight,but I've also downloaded the Prevx Home Intrusion Prevention software. Unlike all of you, my problem with this software has been with its effect on other software, particularly older applications. I've tried to use a typing application and an older wargame. Both apps froze on me after just a few minutes of use. I've tried them with Prevx active and with it completely disabled but still installed. I usually get about 5 minutes of time with the app before it simply freezes. I have to completely shutdown and do a restart to get my computer back. Conversely, a very new piece of game software was able to run without any apparent adverse effects.
    I made sure these apps were able to run without Prevx installed. I use McAffee Antivirus, Internet Connection Firewall, Spybots 1.3, Web Washer and Avast Antivirus. I also have Tauscan Monitor usually running. I know I'm not supposed to run more than one antivirus at a time, but I've used the two above in monitor mode without any conflicts in the past. Has anyone else had any trouble running other apps with Prevx Installed (regardless if its security features are active or not) o_O

I've sent two e-mails to Prevx Support about these issues without any response.

I use XP Home, Dell P4 2.4 ghz 512 MB RAM, 64 MB RAM NVidia Geforce 4 MX 420 video card.

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Creekside Rogue. If you go to their support page, which can be launched from the program itself, there is a FAQ on the program itself, and this is what it says about other software problems.....
    The Security Settings in Prevx Home are set up to prevent the generic types of attack methods used by hackers, worm and virus authors to gain access to your system. For example; These methods include utilising areas of memory not designated for use by genuine software applications as a rule.

However, from time to time software vendors may include abnormal programming methods in their applications which contravene general programming rules and which the Prevx Home security settings are created to detect and prevent.

To prevent your application from terminating, select the Security Settings tab and in turn, switch each of the settings off, run the application and, if the problem continues, return the setting to its original position and move onto the next.

22. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Slovak. Yeah, I read that part of the Prevx Support page as well. However, I figured that if I simply disabled all of the security settings in Prevx Home and tried running the application, that should certainly allow it to function properly. I wasn't too crazy about shutting down my computer and restarting it every time the application froze after each single adjustment to Prevx's security settings.
    But I could be wrong for such an assumption...hmmm. I'll consider going through the process just to see if it makes any difference.
    Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  23. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I would try as they say, after all if it doesn't work as they say it should then by all means submit it to them in a bug report and as a recommendation if you have one. Remember this is a beta product we are dealing with.

24. dsranger1

dsranger1 Registered Member

I decided to try the Prevx beta after reading some news stories about it and other intrusion prevention systems, and having tried the TeaTimer module in Spybot 1.3. (note- teatimer is rather effective at detecting changes at a basic level, but it's quite annoying after a while, as it's a very elementary change detection system - for ANY registry change, you'll be prompted.) I did a fresh install of Windows 2000 last night, and, after installing all the patches from Windows update, and installing AVAST antivirus and ZoneAlarm, added on Prevx to see if it would be something worthwhile for a home or office environment. So far, my answer is yes, with some minor reservations. while I haven’t tested it against any live viruses or trojans yet, the component that detects application modification is effective and I can see how it could be useful – after installing Prevx and rebooting, I ran windowsupdate to install first the most current version of Windows Media Player, then two patches for WMP. With both the installation and the patches, Prevx detected the new processes, prompting me whether I wanted to allow them to continue. The prompts were somewhat repetitive and therefore felt rather aggressive, similar to Kerio’s prompting at multiple components of a single process. Prevx behavior can be modified for 11 different categories of behavior, with three choices for each category – allow, prompt, or deny. three of the 11 categories are set to deny by default, the other six to prompt. For securing workstations in an office (to prevent users from making/allowing unwanted changes), having the program set to deny for all categories would certainly be useful, and with password protection added, would allow support techs and admins to maintain control over a desktop environment without going through the complexities of Novell zenworks or spending many hours creating a complex security policy within a Windows domain.

25. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

What protection does this provide that Process Guard, a AV and a AT not provide?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.