Prevx gone from PC or is it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

When I had Prevx 2 installed along with my AntiVirus the Windows Security Center read that it found more than one Antivirus. When I uninstalled the AV I had at the time, WSC read that Prevx 2.0 was running. Ok so far so good as Prevx supposedly can be used by itself. When I uninstalled Prevx however with no AV installed, guess what? WSC read that Prevx 2.0 isn't turned on. It gets better. I did the old reliable procedure of turning off Windows Management Instrumentation Service and deleted the Repository Folder, restarted WMI and rebooted. Guess what? WSC reads Prevx 2.0 isn't turned on. When I install an AV though the WSC at least no longer reads it has found more than one AV. I believe I did the deletion procedure properly, and I must say I'm stumped. I did a search of the registry an some keys come up, but not sure if they are connected to Prevx. Just curious if anyone else experienced this and fixed it?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Did you run the removal tool? Did you shut Prevx down prior to uninstall?

From the FAQs page...

"Why can't I uninstall Prevx 2.0?

The most likely cause is that Prevx 2.0 hasn't been shutdown before starting the removal process.

Shutting down is not the same as closing the Console. To shutdown Prevx 2.0, right-click the tray icon and select Shutdown.

To confirm that Prevx 2.0 is not running, start the Windows Task Manager and chack that pxconsole.exe and pxagent.exe are not running.

You cannot manually remove Prevx 2.0 by deleting files/folders as Prevx 2.0 files, registry settings etc. are protected.

If you still cannot remove Prevx 2.0, then try the following:

1. Download the removal tool from: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=PREVX2REMOVAL
    2. Start your computer in Safe Mode.
    3. Shutdown Prexv 2.0 (see above).
    4. Run the removal tool.
    5. Restart your computer."

Good luck.

3. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Sometimes when you uninstall and AV program or firewall it still remains in the windows security center.

Assuming you use Windows XP:

To remove it you must:
    Run>Services.msc
    Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service
    Delete the folder in Windows\System32\wbem\Repository
    Start the Windows Management Instrumentation Service

Reboot your PC

EDIT: Ok you did that:

You must also delete the AutoRecover folder in the wbem directory at the same time you delete the repository folder. I had the same problem and that was the only way to fix it.

4. duke1959

Thanks Page42 and dmenace. I think I did the uninstall properly by shutting down services first, but I do remember finding something in my registry about Prevx being in Autorecover. I will try that method first and if it doesn't help I will run the removal tool in safe mode. Thanks again to both of you. I also posted in the CC Prevx Forum and although it was only last night, I still got you're two responses here before any in the Prevx Forum. Just thought I'd mention that. I know I will need to shut down Blink Personal Edition first, but will deleting the Auto Recovery Folder affect anything after reboot and start up as far as WSC recognizing Blink again?

5. SMPRICESOLUTIONS

SMPRICESOLUTIONS Registered Member

6. duke1959

Prevx now gone from PC. Thanks to both of you. Either solution given would have worked I know, but I only used one. I'm not saying which one I used so I don't offend anyone. Of course I'm not saying either of you would have been. LOL. seriously though thanks again for the help.

7. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Thanks for this post - I have been searching for a solution for quite some time - at last one that worked for me. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.