Prevx FP killed my Rollback Rx & deleted all my snapshot!!!

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by fce, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

No, it works fine as long as you realize that by using a program like EAZ-Fix you are using a program that uses a massive amount of malware technology and could be detected because of it. The next update to Prevx will be further preventing FPs with EAZ-Fix.

However, the fact that Prevx can "clean" the EAZ-Fix rootkit shows that they have a fundamental flaw which malware could easily be exploiting as well as we apparently have full write access to the harddisk :doubt:

2. PrevxHelp

No, its not good to use software if you don't understand what you're installing. EAZ-Fix is essentially a rootkit hiding files on your system. If you understand that, then it is fine to use any software with it provided you know that false positives can occur because the changes made by EAZ-Fix are identical to those made by rootkits.

If you run a scan with any good anti-rootkit program which is able to detect complex threats like the MBR rootkit on an EAZ-Fix protected computer, you will most definitely receive the same FP as generated by Prevx because it isn't a FP - the MBR actually is hidden and the file system is modified by a rootkit - EAZ-Fix.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

of course, because FP = catastrophic result.
    i've been using KIS for years but i didnt experience FP.

4. PrevxHelp

Also, to put this into perspective - this report is the first/only report we've received about the incompatibility/detection and I'm fairly sure there is more than just one user using both Prevx and Rollback Rx ;)

We have measures in place to prevent these kinds of FPs but the point which could trigger it would be changing of configuration or upgrading of the EAZ-Fix software. The next release will have stronger even protection against these FPs but it is hard to detect a rootkit as a non-rootkit when it is a rootkit.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Prevx is a hell of alot easier for a newbie to understand then EAZ-FIX.I hated that program. Would reboot and see orphan files missing on restart. Prevx is very easy to use and a hell of alot more secure then the crap floating around here of late.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

:thumb:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'd like to see this "market research" that you refer to. I doubt it exists. I think you dreamed that up to support whatever point you're trying to make.

Actually, anecdotal evidence supports the contrary. People with problems are very vocal... they don't just "stay quiet", as you suggest. In fact, people are so prone to complaining that some will even complain about software they don't even use! Bet we could all point to a few of those members.

I'd also guess (anecdotally, based on what I see in these forums) that the majority of people who DON'T have problems just stay quiet until the complainers and naysayers and bashers finally get on their nerves and then they post about their good experiences with a program.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It is precisely because of forums like this that I "keep quiet" about software problems I may encounter as I very often find solutions just by reading through such places.

In some instances, I have exchanged dialog with the software vendor themselves.

I've yet to ring my ISP's own tech support for the very same reasons. There may become a day when I have to, but so far, I've found the info on the 'net to resolve any issues I may have had, which have been few and far between.

9. PrevxHelp

Irrespective of them knowing about Wilders or any other support place, we've never had anyone come into the support inbox with any problems with Rollback Rx or EAZ-Fix. If I used a product that deletes my snapshots, I surely would have contacted the company to find out why :doubt:

That would be like having a problem with your car and then just throwing it out instead of getting it fixed. Sure, Prevx only costs $30, but money is money (and most of our tech support comes from assisting the free users as well, who have also never complained about any incompatibility).

10. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Actually, the reason for this is the speed of reversing FP notification. :D

11. fce

fce Registered Member

unfortunately my car still running after i throw the defected parts on my car. ;)

to all, i have all it takes to fixed this problem (information re: Rollback/Prevx issue, common sense, etc.) unfortunately i over trust Prevx and too much excitement that Prevx will fixed the problem that lead me to catastrophic

Just beware of FP if you're using Prevx and you will be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.