Prevx Edge. Unregistered. Bit risky or not?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by muf, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

So here's the scenario:
    Prevx Edge installed - Unregistered.
    I'm browsing the net.
    Keylogger gets in.
    Prevx Edge detects, notifies but doesn't remove.
    Keylogger is logging.
    So I decide to register Prevx Edge.
    Go to Prevx website purchase via my credit card.
    Keylogger sends out my credit card details to someone who's not me.
    Prevx Edge deletes the keylogger.

Is that how it works or does it detect and quarantine the keylogger so that it's inactive, but does not remove it. Please tell me it's the latter because the former scenario would mean the developers are leaving the user highly vulnerable. I mean, what if the nasty is one that redirects your browser or targets your security software. It would leave you in the proverbial for sure.

muf

2. Dr33

Dr33 Registered Member

It will only detect and report but nothing else if it is unregistered so you should buy it from a diferent PC :rolleyes:

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Edge will only scan for and not block the keylogger in this case. In the evaluation version, Edge provides equivalent protection of an on-demand scanner except that it will warn you as soon as it detects an infection rather than only on scheduled scans.

If you do suspect that your system is infected, however, we highly recommend using a different computer to make the purchase. Even if the infection does root itself deeply into your system, Edge will remove it cleanly and in the off chance that it doesn't clean everything 100%, you can write into our customer service inbox and one of our researchers will assist you in manual cleanup or will help you remotely to remove the residual parts of the infection.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Combine PXE detect only mode with a free antvirus and your fine

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

You'd have to be particularly stupid to type in your credit card details after you'd just been told you have a keylogger infection!!!! Or is your point that Prevx doesn't give you enough information to inform you of the type of infection?

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes I know what you mean, but my point isn't really aimed at me. You know the sort, the one's who open an e-mail attachment from someone they've never heard of. It doesn't necessarily have to be a keylogger. That was just an example. A virus, or something that kills your security apps. The point i'm trying to make is that Prevx will just let a nasty waltz in and rip your pc up, will tell you it's gonna happen, will watch it happen and do nothing about it. An application that detects but doesn't protect is a bit pointless really. I mean it's all well and good if the malware doesn't stop you using Prevx but if it rips up system files and kills your security apps then it's already too late. In a way, all Prevx is doing is telling you too re-format and re-install your OS.

muf

7. PrevxHelp

The problem of what to offer for free and what not to offer is definitely a never-ending discussion. With a conventional AV, you can use it for 30 days and then you can't use it at all. Additionally, many AVs come pre-installed on new computers and their trials quickly expire, but the users are left thinking they're secure because they have X av installed even though it is now out of date.

Antivirus companies stop sending out signatures when the subscription expires so is it worse to be notified of an infection for free like we do or to get infected and not even know about it? Trial versions of security software are messy - you use it for 30 days and after that you can get no value from it. If you didn't encounter an infection within those 30 days, you'll never know if it would have caught the infection or not and you won't be able to even reinstall it to see because the trials are limited strictly to 30 days. If an infection comes in after those 30 days, you will get infected. Many infections today are lasting less than 48 hours in the wild so as soon as your subscription expires, your protection is near-worthless even though you may only receive a small popup complaining that you need to spend some more money.

We feel that by drawing a clear line of what our evaluation is and what it isn't, we are being as straightforward to users as possible - an unpaid copy of Edge will scan your computer as many times as you want and it will detect malware in realtime and on-demand but it will not block or clean the malware. After detecting the malware, you are free to go and clean up on your own using a handful of complex tools and spending some hours to try and do it manually, or, you can get our one-stop-shop solution which will let you clean quickly and by using a single product. We show the full filename of every infection in the GUI so we aren't trying to hide the information or lock users into ONLY being able to clean up with Edge, rather, our free scan is a service to the community - realtime detection of new threats is just an addition onto it, as if you were running an on-demand scan once per second :D If you want to actually stay protected from new threats using our centralized analysis and all of the other features of Edge, you can buy it but rather than limiting you to a 30 day trial to see the effectiveness, you can use it for as long as you wish :)

I hope that helps clear things up - if not, please let me know :)

8. muf

muf Registered Member

You know what. That's a great reply. Can't really argue with it. Some good points there. Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed and informative response.

muf

9. PrevxHelp

You're welcome :) Let me know if you have any other questions!

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Just download the latest Dr Web Cureit/MBAM/SAS/etc.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what the heck i didnt take a risk my wife and sons are very risky surfers:D ,so i bouht my self two copies:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.