Prevx Edge and DriveSentry difference

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Following these two products. What are the differences between the two? I know DriveSentry has a white/black list and community database for its hips etc. Does Prevx Edge offer similar type protection or is it purely based behavior blocker with some hips thrown in?

Any help would be appreciated and please no flames.
    Ice

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

IMO they are quite diff, DS is closer to a HIPS and Edge is a BB with some extra features, but basically a BB. its definetly not similar protection, they both work differently.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Well, Edge is not a behavior blocker. Edge analyzes behaviors and sends them to the community database to be analyzed against signatures and heuristics but it doesn't actually block behaviors as many conventional behavior blockers do (i.e. it does not operate by telling the user that X program is accessing the memory of Y process). You could say that Edge is a behavior blocker in the sense that it blocks malicious behaviors, but it doesn't actually block specific behaviors (as that quickly makes a product for "techie" users only).

What sets Edge apart technically from the other products is the way that it communicates centrally and what is actually done on the database. Rather than just running a quick signature check as the other in-the-cloud interpretations are doing, we pioneered the technology behind advanced malware analysis from a light client to a powerful centralized server. Each program is analyzed within the context of every other program and every behavior seen by every user across the community to determine the outliers which perform suspicious or malicious actions. Numerous algorithms are run over each incoming packet of data to correlate and dissect exactly what its intent is, in context of other processes so that we minimize false positives while keeping detection very strong.

Its not a panacea but it definitely adds a layer of security over any other application (or by itself ;)). Let me know if you have any questions on any part of this :)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

kind of like, night and day.;)

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Just curious, what would happen if Prevx was targeted by a DDOS attack like what happened to Castle Cops when there servers were taken off line.

6. IceCube1010

thank you for the replys. They are similar in some respects but different in others. I'm getting a good understanding of what Prevx Edge does.

Ice

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

But Prevx 2 was known to be a behaviour blocker in abc mode o_O

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hips:D ditto:thumb:

9. GES/POR

Its a classical HIPS in Pro or Expert mode.

10. PrevxHelp

Absolutely nothing :) We're under multiple DDoS attacks at any given moment from various infections which target us - as you can see, there isn't any affect on our servers :) Our architecture is scalable and completely redundant - we actually took our webservers offline this weekend/Monday but everyone was still completely protected :)

11. PrevxHelp

A behavior blocker is a relatively simplistic technology - Prevx2 was more than a behavior blocker and Edge is more than Prevx2 :D

12. GES/POR

Well its still my fav product :'(

13. trio

trio Registered Member

DriveSentry:

I only found out about DriveSentry because it was preloaded on a laptop I purchased from PC World. PC Plus reviewed it a few months ago and put it up against the big boys and it beat them getting editors choice. DS just reviewed here -> http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-hips.htm . I very nearly ditched DS due to it's excessive memory usage but the latest build is much better and very stable.

PrevX Edge:

I installed Edge and it looks great but due to it always requiring Internet access I ditched it. I've seen two reviews of Edge and both were not great one from a German mag and another recent one here -> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/reviews/23245.aspx . ThreatFire for me is a better BB and it's free!

14. PrevxHelp

FWIW - the issues outlined in the review were fixed months ago ;)

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the guy is an idiot. Anyone here knows a proper review is not only on the installation, appearance, ease of use and mostly important is how it works at protecting. No where did he comment on that fact. Review? More like a high school paper.

16. PrevxHelp

The only legitimate complaint he has is that self protection was disabled by default. We've since improved the compatibility of it and it is now enabled by default :) (and we've reorganized the interface as well just to make it more logical)

For what it's worth - self protection is not a critical feature. If malware is in the system deeply enough to kill a security product, it could do anything else so why bother only terminating the security product? Self protection is most helpful against disgruntled employees who want to kill processes :D Malware is blocked long before it even gets the chance to kill the process :)

17. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

:D :thumb: nuff said.

18. trio

trio Registered Member

Great I can now use Edge without Internet access! I will download now and give it a go.

19. PrevxHelp

The other "issues" were fixed - using Edge without internet access is not possible (and won't be possible because of how threats are today :))

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

even in safe mode:)

21. IceCube1010

To be honest with you, I never really go by "reviews". I tend to follow the forums and see how users are actually getting along with the product. Also, how the support is for the product. From what I can tell Prevx has a good user base and very good support. DS seems to have a good user base and their support seems good also. The final piece is how the product runs on your own machine.

thanks again for all the input
    Ice

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree and the reality is, what app works good on your PC may not on mine. So it comes back down to the oldest saying here, You must try it on your own machine to really know.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes agree with you both:) for example i really love malware defender and i was checking it in download.com to see what they said and how they rated and to my surprice they gave only 1 start:D i'll give 5 start ofcourse cause i love it and it works as adverstise:) :thumb:

24. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's the same criteria I use when considering a program.
    Most of the progams that I have used I have read about on this forum.;)

What I like about the two programs is that you can use them for free with some limitations. You can compare them on your system before paying anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.