Prevx detected malware question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Niels, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Prevx detected the uninstall.exe file of XsoftspySE as infected with malware. I did a scan with BitDefender it won't detect anything. I did also uploaded it to avast also clean. How can an uninstall file be infected? My question is how is it possible that my virusscanner and avast file checker don't find anything suspicious and prevx does find something?

Thanks in advance.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The best thing to do would be to double click the file in your Holding Cell/Probation/Jail to bring up the web info, then click the "Disagree with us?" link in the upper right hand corner of the web page. That will send a support message with all the relevant information for the file, and you can include any comments you feel pertinent (such as a description of what the file is).

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just d/l and installed v. 4.29. 227 to try it. No alerts from any security apps(including Prevx 1) during installation. I also scan all pc files w/ prevx 1, nothing has been brought up. Two questions for you; did you d/l from its official site(XsoftSpySE) and did you update Prevx 1 today. Just curious. Have a nice one.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Current version is the same. 2.3.0 build 10

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; Yes, version remains unchanged, but databases may have an update.

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I use Xsoftspy se since version 4.25 and no other anti-malware software did detect the uninstall file of Xsoftspy se as infected. The uninstall file is located in the installation directory. I downloaded it in the past from their original website : http://www.paretologic.com I am using v2.3.0 build 10. I have now set it under probation. Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciated it. I have send them also an email.

Niels

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  7. fax

fax Registered Member

Do you trust Xsoftspy? I would not 100%, tough they have improved recently, there are better alternatives ... IMHO ....

"...Note on XoftSpy: XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives (1, 2, 3, 4), questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2), including exploitation of the name "spybot" by affiliates. Earlier versions of XoftSpy were also Ad-aware knockoffs. (There was clone of XoftSpy named SpyBurn, but that application is no longer available.)
    Over the past few months, XoftSpy has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising), revised its license text, and released a new version of XoftSpy (version 4.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard XoftSpy as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware...."

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note

Fax

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I have Xsoftspy SE installed as an backupscanner. Xsoftspy SE could remove infections that others couldn't delete. After a scan the popups and toolbars where removed on one of the homepc's. Till now I don't had many false positivs so I find that Xsoftspy SE works great. But that is my opinion. I never tried Xsoftspy. I only tried their SE version and I am still using it.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i rekon superantispyware can remove alot more.
    also i dont trust xsoft antispyware
    lodore

10. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I do always first a scan with Counterspy and then I verify the result. When Counterspy don't find anything Xsoftspy se won't find also nothing. So there are not many false positives.I also verify the so called infected file before I let Xsoftspy se remove it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.