Prevx CSI needs installation?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Stijnson, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is it correct that the newest version (1.9.112.121) of Prevx CSI needs installation on a HD and that it adds 2 running services (even when the program is closed)?

Why this change?

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Yes you need to install it... Thats why when I want to scan with PrevxCSI, I do it under the supervision of Returnil... install, scan, reboot->PrevxCSI is gone!

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Prevx CSI has required installation for some time now for a vast number of reasons, of which some are: Vista with UAC support, limited user scanning, scanning of multiple users on the same computer, support of fast user switching, a net-LESS resource utilization because of better management of the CSI driver from within the service component, and more stable and accurate cleanup.

The two running processes are there to allow CSI to maintain full functionality at all times and to ensure that everything works as it should regardless of the computer configuration.

Thanks for the question :)

Marco

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Sry to say but i uninstalled it about 1 month ago.I keept prevx,becouse i liked it's database,but i don't need 2 running processes (btw i only seen one:)),for a 2 min scan done once a week,or less.I have nothing against installation but i certainly dislike the running processes.I mean it's an on demand application.

5. dendrobates

dendrobates Registered Member

Same thing here, i do like the concept of Prevx2.0 and CSI , ... but both applications always get conflicts with other software that is running on my (virtual) computers.
    For the record, i run 1 different antivirus on each system (for testing).
    For some reason i never got it to work without conflicts, in combination with a, or any, Antivirus, but perhaps this is because it runs in VMware.

If it should work (under VMware and AV) without conflicts, please let me know, i am a licensed user of most antivirus programs (it's my job)
    and i am happy to test this again.

Also i had great difficulties to uninstall CSI, it seems to be impossible to uninstall, it stays in use, is hard to kill , and the normal uninstall didn't work in several occasions.

Again if needed i can set it up again on a system, and see if and how i can reproduce this.

6. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Hello,

at first, every report is more than accepted and if you find any bug that can be reproduced please feel free to report it to us so that we can fix it :)

If I can, I would suggest you to try last Prevx CSI version released only a few days ago. We've improved compatibility with other security vendors's softwares and it should work fine under VMWare.

Anyway, if anything goes wrong, again feel free to contact us. We'll do the best to improve our technologies for you users :)

Marco

7. Stijnson

Is it safe to set these services to manual instead of automatic?

8. Stijnson

I have two prevxcsi.exe services running: one for System and one for my own name.
    I have set them to 'manual' but they don't close when I close PrevxCSI.

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Yes there are two.I didn't look carefully at Process Explorer,i just reinstalled it to check.Anyway no word from the developer about this,probably they are there to stay.

10. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I have no problem with Prevx CSI installing itself on my computer but I do have a problem with it installing always-running processes/services. As long as that is the case, it will not touch any of my computers, nor will it be recommended to others.

I'm sick and tired of software installing running services when it isn't necessary.:thumbd:

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Today, I also discovered that CSI installs 2 permanently running services. It did not make me happy! :( Then after the CSI scan, I disconnected from the web to do some other scanning and lo and behold, CSI created a pop-up and asked to check my web connection, that it couldn't call home. I was really unhappy at this point! :mad: So as soon as I could, I uninstalled it. Thankfully, it seemed to go away ok.

At this point, I'm not so sure I would use it again or recommend it. If we were given a way to disable both services when it's not needed, I would be fine with that. But permanently running, always calling home? Nope! :thumbd:

12. Stijnson

I totally agree. CSI is a great program, but why oh why does it need 2 services running constantly? I set the services to manual (which doesn't seem to do any harm), then the services only start when I actually start CSI. Only problem is that they don't close down when I leave CSI.

13. dendrobates

If i understand it correctly, CSI checks files it scans against their central database. So it can't work correctly if their is no connection.
    But i am not totally sure of this .. i will check ..

14. dendrobates

A few minutes ago i did an update of CSI ,
    after that, disabled my Network connection of that system and started a scan.

When the scan progres was at 79%

I got the message:

'PREVX CSI could not connect to the Internet to detect the newest threats,
    please establish a working Internet connection and press OK to continue'

So it seems true that it wants to verify files against their central database.

15. dendrobates

And regarding the services, i have no clue , why it isn't capable to start these when a on-demand scan needs to be done, and close them when the scan is finished.

Why must these services stay active? and the same for the thingy in the system tray.

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I removed Prevx CSI and will not reinstall any time soon.
    After unchecking all the boxes in options, including the one about updating, and not even using csi I saw activity going on.(internet)
    Checking my FW to see what was connecting out (and nothing should have been) it was Prevx CSI.
    Running process's,connecting when it wants to, not on my pc. Goodbye CSI. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.