PrevX CSI morphs to Prevx3: I missed something ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Have CSI free on two boxes: used it as a back up scanner.
    'Was' nice, appreciated the free offer
    Got a pop-up: "new version available", hit Ok and CSI morphed to PrevX 3.0. :cautious:

Hhmm: didnt notify me, didnt explain and didnt ask permission :cautious:
    Immediately got pop-ups -politely- asking me to upgrade.
    Not really happy with that particular sequence of events.
    It's quite possible I missed some 'notice' somewhere.

Now on one box I have a free version of PrevX3 offering real time protection and a running paid for copy of PrevX2 on the same machine.
    I am not ready to give up the paid copy of PrevX2 yet.
    Not quite ready for assimilation yet. ;)

On other machine have free copy of PrevX 3 running.

SO: don't mean to complain about cool free software, but am a bit perturbed by assumptions made and delivered without proper consent.

Start bar buttons reorganised by myself, still show "prevX CSI".
    Safe to uninstall PrevX 3 on the 'double-upped' box??
    Where from ? The prevX CSI installer ??

Explanation appreciated as to why PrevX thinks they own and can access my box as they please, please.
    Regards.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello longboard,
    go to this page convert your prevx 2 license to a version 3 licence.
    then uninstall both versions ( on doubled up box) and install 3 from the link above for your windows version and stick in your version 3 code you converted above.
    I converted an unused prevx 1 license to a version 3 license last week.

I would assume the older prevxcsi has now been renamed to prevx3.
    You can turn off automatic updates in the GUI.
    open up main gui settings,basic configuration untick "automatically download and apply updates"
    then click on save changes at the bottom.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

@Iodore - I take it Longboard has NO licenses and was using free versions for scanning only.

@Longboard - I think the short answer is they discontinued Prevx CSI and merged those and PrevxEdge users into Prevx3 across the board. Of course, you question as to the means by which they did it still stands.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Prevx CSI is now Prevx 3.0, which is still free for the same functionality as CSI. If you want to disable all of the Prevx 3.0 components and make the software identical to CSI in function, click Tools > Suspend Protection and click the drop arrow in the list and scroll down to "Remove Protection" and then click Stop Protection.

The upgrade process doesn't rename the shortcuts, but if you uninstall/reinstall you'll get "Prevx" related shortcuts instead of "Prevx CSI" related shortcuts.

Hope that helps :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey crofttk,
    longboard said in his original post he has a prevx2 licence on one of his computers. I gave him instructions on how to upgrade the license to a Version 3 licence which would mean having full functions of prevx3 including edge,realtime protection,cleanup etc.

6. Longboard

Thx for replies
    I have one paid for PrevX2 license ( Oct 2006 and since ;) )
    Have not upgraded as yet. (see below)
    Yah, :)
    Thankyou, yes.
    @PreX Help
    Thats all good and nice.
    Would have been nice to state this before you started messing with my installs. :cautious:
    Not sour grapes re nice free softs you understand.
    I'm not absolutely thrilled with the "dont you worry,we will do it all for you approach."
    As we have discussed b4, I actually like seeing the pop-ups from PrevX2 set-up ( and OA and GESWall etc) keeps me in touch. Sort of 'reverse learning' re what's what and what's running.
    I like driving a manual :)

Not really thrilled by 'uninstall reinstall' routine because of 'PrevX knows best' approach. :cautious:
    Appreciate this -PrevX3- may be/is a great software, but not my choice to be in this circumstance.
    Heh: bet most peeps may think I'm being a bit picky; just a small principle involved I think.
    Probably wrapped up in the EULA somewhere ?
    Just a little , on my part , perception of less than full disclosure re changing my box

Just to be clear: I uninstall the unwanted PrevX3 off the box where it is now residing with PrevX2 and there will be no problem with the PrevX2 installed ??
    Is there a clean uninstall?
    Any 'tools' required.?

EDIT: iodore got in fast, yes, thanks I know I can do that: just kind of resisting assimilation to the Borgso far and happy with current ( now ex setup)
    I suspect resistance is futile. :shifty:

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

There is no incompatibility between Prevx 2 and Prevx 3, but Prevx 3/Prevx CSI/Prevx Edge are all the same software. They were literally just rebranded and dependent on license state, but we've changed it now to be more logical.

So, if you have had CSI in the past, you still do have CSI (it just has some more improvements now that you have upgraded :))

I know you aren't a fan of the silent approach, but a vast majority of our users do prefer the Prevx 3.0 approach to security and currently we aren't planning on going back to the exact same method of reporting in Prevx 2.0. However.... we do have more granular controls/reporting planned, but this is still a bit further down the road :)

For your purposes, Prevx 2 + Prevx 3 with realtime monitoring disabled will work well :)

8. Longboard

LOL: overkill ??

Attached Files:

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yes, I should have know better as you are a typically astute participant here, Iodore. My bad, simply scanning for the word license in Longboard's post, "PAID" never registered on me!:oops: Perhaps it was before I reached critical caffeine intake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.