Prevx age/population heuristics - disappointment

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by ako, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

I do not see anything heuristic about Prevx.
    The only heuristics I observe is the Prevx algorithm contacting the Prevx Server to determine the statistical age of an file according to the Prevx community, then jurying the file.
    That is not heuristics, true heuristics does not care about the age of an file, true heuristics juries an file by what action the file is performing right now in real time.

HKEY1952

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Totally agree.

4. ako

ako Registered Member

I'm not interested in nomenclature. I want to know if a given protection method works or not.

5. HKEY1952

Well.....you just Posted your disappointment.....now you know.....

HKEY1952

6. ako

ako Registered Member

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

ako, I don't know the 'technical' ins and outs of prevx, but I've learned from these forums, some of the best security programs don't get every problem file.

For example, winpatrol might detect these, but misses others.

What problems do these files create, if run?

8. ako

ako Registered Member

The point is: they are new files, but one gets no warning even age/pop. heuristics set as maximum.

9. Saraceno

When Joe gets online, he's sleeping I'm betting, send them through to him and wait for his follow-up. :)

10. ako

ako Registered Member

I've already done it...

11. Saraceno

Good stuff. :thumb: Just out of interest, what sort of site did these files come from, gaming, adult etc?

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

He's doing an excellent job, definitely deserving his rest. ;)

13. Saraceno

I heard the man doesn't sleep, survives off mouthfuls of air. That true? ;)

14. ako

ako Registered Member

Infected random sites,no special title.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ako,

Have you set DefenseWall to protect additional folders? Or did you select the option to be informed when protected resourced are accessed?

You know there is a nice trick with DefenseWall Resource Protection to add extra security (on files/registry). Simply add those items as resources of the "System" process.

Ilya has added a lot of my extra file and registry protection by default. I am interested to known whether you have defined extra's yourself.

Regards Kees

16. ako

ako Registered Member

I haven't done so far any 'tweaking', unless proven otherwise, I hope I can trust the default settings of DW.

please tell what's your ruleset?

17. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hi ako,
    I'm unsure what the source of the issue is but could you get me some details about your system including what version of DefenseWall and what browser you're using/service pack level? There may be an incompatibility causing the detection to not work properly (it definitely works as it bugs me every time we make a new build :D).

And @HKEY1952: only one portion of our centralized database uses age/popularity to detect the file, the rest is entirely based on heuristics/heuristics from behavior (we don't have 1-1 signatures).

18. ako

ako Registered Member

XP sp2 (no updates), IE7, DW 2.56, Adobe 7.08

19. PrevxHelp

Could you try a similar test with DW/WinPatrol not installed? I'm interested to see if it is related to them in particular as I just tried a similar setup (SP3 VM) and no malware got through (EDIT - said the inverse of what happened... coffee needed...)

Also, does that VM image have a full Prevx license in it? That can make a difference with age/popularity protection.

20. HKEY1952

I have been following your Posts and you always have an definite positive answer, fix , workaround, and soon to be updated fix for every single negative Post about Prevx.
    Prevx always works for you and it is always the clients configuration causing Prevx not working properly. No Program is that dynamically perfect and no human is that
    dynamically intelligent.....although your performance here on Wilders Security Forums is very convincing to the average person.

HKEY1952

21. PrevxHelp

:doubt: I'm sorry if I'm being too truthful... when something isn't working properly we issue a fix for it, and a fixed version is soon to be updated so I'm not sure where the problem is o_O I'm not blaming the client's configuration, I'm just working to be able to reproduce it so that we can correct the problem.

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Forgetting Prevx for a moment, when I look around at these and other forums, I see a mixture of users with product X; those who have problems and those who don't despite the fact it's the same product and version being used. There has to be a reason why one user has an issue, but another doesn't. The trick is finding out why, but often that's not an easy task to accomplish, which is why some users give up and move on to something else.

I came to the conclusion a long while ago that the developers cannot know the myriad configurations that exist out there, and that being the case some anomalies may occur. They can do their best to cover most scenarios, but not all. Each and every one of us has a different configuration, and, unfortunately, some software may cause conflicts.

Those that say they have no issues are lucky; the software they have installed works nicely within their configuration. Other factors to bear in mind are the fact that some of these people don't have as many programs installed, and some, like me, don't run too many things at once.

Having said all that, when the support division of a vendor tries their best to work with the customer to resolve any issues, that is to their credit. Sadly, that doesn't always happen; in this instance Prevx has to be applauded for at least going some way to try and fix things as quickly and as humanly possible.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

But of course you're not convinced because you are not average, isn't that what you're saying? You are one of the very special people who show up now and then here at Wilders to enlighten the general population. I am so glad that I am alive during your time. :thumb:

24. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

HKEY1952's post was rather cryptic. Not sure if he was praising Prevxhelp for finding fixes & workarounds or just working hard, seemed like he was praising all three. What an butt-kisser. JK :p

I think it would be legit to crucify someone for not trying.

25. ako

ako Registered Member

Full licence.

I uninstalled DW, and closed winpatrol. This time the malware was stopped (Due to recognized as malware, who knows why. Perhaps it is in the database already?)

I just wonder: During my tests I have never seen age/pop heur. in action. Why?

Could you do a favour: download DW trial, Winpatrol free and test yourself that combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.